cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sruetzler
Level 4

Get information about suite installation in Custom Action DLL

Hello,
i'm writing a custon action dll for a suite installation.

How can i get more information of the actual build, e.g. the install mode.

There is an interface named IBootstrap which has the method get_InstallMode but i have only the ISuiteUIExtension interface.

Is there a way to access more information?

Thanks Simon
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I believe this is reflected in the ISInstallMode property, which you can query with get_Property.

Update: the property is actually IsInstallMode (lower case s), but there are still potentially problems with using it.
0 Kudos
sruetzler
Level 4

Thanks, i will try it.
I can't find anyting about this property in the help. Are there more undocumented properties?
Isn't there a possibility to access the other interfaces like IBootstrap.

Thanks Simon
0 Kudos
sruetzler
Level 4

Hello,
i tried to read this property (ISInstallMode) but i can't get the data.
Either it is empty or the property is not available.
Thank Simon
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Well, turns out there are two problems. One is my mistake: the property name is actually IsInstallMode (lower case s). But the other is it may not be set until after selecting a button on the MaintenanceWelcome page. Can you instead check the state of a feature (property FEATURE[featurename].installState) which should strongly indicate whether your suite has been installed?

IBootstrap is not available to extension code. In theory you could replace all of Setup_UI.dll to gain access, but we're not ready to document that just yet; the internal works are still changing too much. And it's probably more work than anyone would want to bite off just for this. 🙂
0 Kudos
sruetzler
Level 4

Assuming i have a feature name foo_bar in the suit project.

Can i access the information like this?
CComBSTR strProperty;
spSuiteUIExtenstion->get_Property(L"FEATUREfoo_bar.installState", &strProperty);

or

[CODE]CComBSTR strProperty;
spSuiteUIExtenstion->get_Property(L"FEATURE[foo_bar].installState", &strProperty);[/CODE]

In both version i get only an empty string.

Thanks Simon
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You need to use the latter - the one that includes the square brackets. Are you up to date on hot fixes we've mentioned on the community? We ran into this issue internally, and I'll have to do some digging to find out if the fix for that has been posted. (The FEATURE[name].* properties are UI-only properties, and initially were not being included in the put/get_Property calls.) However even without the fix you can put conditions on your page's visibility to prevent showing the page in the wrong scenario.
0 Kudos
sruetzler
Level 4

Hello,
i could not read the property from a custom action.

Which hot fix do i need?
Where can i find it?
And where it is mentioned in the community?

Thanks Simon
0 Kudos