cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

GPO install push and Major Upgrade

Our admin is attempting to push out our latest version of our software through a GPO and it does not perform a major upgrade over our previous version.

If I run the install in command line silent mode or just full UI install mode it will correctly detect and uninstall the previous version as normal for Major Upgrade mode. Why would it then not work through the GPO?

If anyone has experience with GPO push and major upgrade mode then could you let me know what the problem could be?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I got the admin to log the install and the log contained the following:

MSI (s) (0C:3C) [09:03:36:149]: Doing action: FindRelatedProducts
Action ended 9:03:36: DiableCancelOnUninstall. Return value 0.
MSI (s) (0C:3C) [09:03:36:149]: Skipping FindRelatedProducts action: not run in maintenance mode
Action start 9:03:36: FindRelatedProducts.

According to the help docs, if the install is ran in maintenance mode then FindRelatedProducts does not get triggered, therefore will not detect previous versions.

Now the admin stated that the machines they are testing on does not have a version that will trigger maintenance mode, but how else would the install detect this???

Anyways if there is any comments/suggestions then could you let me know.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
dan_galender
Level 10

Are you sure you changed the ProductCode GUID?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Yes the product codes were changed and again if you run the install in UI mode it will correctly uninstall the previous version.
0 Kudos
splunker
Level 2

Anybody found a solution to this? I'm having the same issue.
0 Kudos