cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WindChaser
Level 4

Folder and application security settings

I have ISX08 and I am adapting my installs for Vista. When right-clicking on my application folder to get to the permissions and set Full Control, I find that I'm locked out. How do I set full control to all my folders with ISX08?

On Vista, I also found that all my apps need to be run as Administrator in order to work properly. Is there any setting that I can set in the application properties to fix this?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You will want to Manifest your apps to "requireAdministrator" You can find details on how to do this at:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756929.aspx

Basically a manifest is an XML file either embedded in your exe (the preferred method) or external to it, that tell Vista how to run your application.

Manifests were required in the XP world to get your application to use the new common control libraries. The section you need to add for Administrator privileges is:

level="requireAdministrator"
uiAccess="false"/>

You can find complete samples of manifests in the InstallShield 2008 installation folder at:

\Support\SetupExe.Admin.manifest
\Support\SetupExe.Highest.manifest
\Support\SetupExe.Invoker.manifest

These are the manifest we use to embed in your setup.exe's.

Once your EXE is manifested, you may not need to set "Full Permissions" since your application will have permissions to the program files location.
0 Kudos