cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeviJA
Level 3

Finding a Merge Module...

This had me banging my head for 2 days, so hopefully it will help someone else...

I was trying to locate a merge module because it was displayed/called out in an old InstallShield 2011 Redistributables list. But I was on a new hard disk which did not have the Merge Module on it. In this case I was looking for "CrystalDecisionsRedist2005_x86". I wasn't able to find this with a Google search, and even the vendor Business Objects could only indicate tha this should be included with the Visual Studio 2005 installation. I had installed VS 2005, and sp1, but still could not locate the Merge Module above.

The problem was that the filename of the Merge Module I needed was "CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm", -- when I put this into the Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules folder, it showed up with the title (name) CrystalDecisions...

Apparently the NAME does not need to match the FILENAME! So, it would be a NICE FEATURE for InstallShield to show the Merge Module name AND FILENAME in the redistributables list if possible, so it would be easier to locate missing merge modules. THANKS!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

You can display the details pane in the Redistributables view by clicking the Show Details button in the tool bar.
0 Kudos
LeviJA
Level 3

Yes, the Details pane will show the name of the merge module file -- IF THE MERGE MODULE IS INSTALLED LOCALLY. However, if the Merge Module is not yet installed on the machine, and an existing InstallShield project has that Merge Module Checked/Selected, then all someone can see is the TITLE of the merge module -- there is no indication which FILE needs to be installed. The details pane cannot be shown if the module is not present on the machine.

This was the problem - because an obscure merge module was included in a project, and I was starting on a new machine which did not have everything installed. I didn't knw the name of the file I was looking for, in order to install on the machine, the only thing the build could tell me is the TITLE merge module could not be located. The Title of the module in this case was NOT the same as the filename, and googling the title only was not sufficient to indicate what the component was called.
0 Kudos