cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregory_borysia
Level 3

Files not replaced when using upgrade

Hi,

I am using installshield LE with upgrade paths.
I discovered a strange behaviour : sometimes dll files ( for example ) are not replaced when installing a new version.

How to resolve this ?

Regards,

Gregory
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Gregory,

Could you kindly provide MSI log of your installation process where some files are not being replaced?

To enable logging: Navigating to General Information View, Create MSI logs – Yes.

Also could you kindly let us know the exact steps which you are following to create Upgrade?

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
gregory_borysia
Level 3

Hi,

I attached a log file with the problem.

regards,

Gregory
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Gregory,

From the log file I could see that some of the Components are being shared by another Product/application and hence the files are not being replaced in Upgrade.

Part of Log File:

MSI (s) (50:04) [19:32:08:576]: Disallowing uninstallation of component: {10B52016-982E-4D1F-9459-71F5314CC2EA} since another client exists
MSI (s) (50:04) [19:32:08:576]: Disallowing uninstallation of component: {42B8E0B5-C9BF-4D17-98A7-D33E467739CB} since another client exists

Could you kindly try to install the Setup on a different system and/or different location and check if the behavior persists?

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
gregory_borysia
Level 3

Hello Bharath

How can know which component is shared ? How to match {10B52016-982E-4D1F-9459-71F5314CC2EA} with something ?

I will try to install and upgrade after a full remove.

Regards,

Gregory
0 Kudos
gregory_borysia
Level 3

Hi,

I added msi log files. But it run fine this time.

Before I add multiple upgrade paths in project. One for each new version. Could it be the reason of the problem ?
Now I juste change the last version number in 1 upgrade path. Is it better ?

Regards,

Gregory
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Gregory,

I’m currently looking into the issue and I would update you as soon as I have further information on this.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Gregory,

I gather that you had mentioned that you were using multiple upgrade paths, I have tried creating project with multiple upgrade paths and the projects were successfully installed.

Steps followed to create Sample Project are:-
1. Created Base Project (V 1.0) and then created Upgrade Project’s (V 2.0 and V 3.0) for the same by changing Product Version and Code.
2. Also added the Upgrade path for the same (V 1.0 , V2.0 for V 3.0)

Could you kindly provide us your project file (*.sln) so that we could test it in-house and investigate further?

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos