cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joseph_Schrag
Level 6

Files not overwritten on Upgrade.

I have a basic MSI installer that I am trying to configure for upgrade. When I run the installer on a system which has an older version of my app, the files do not get replaced with the newer version.

I ran the install with verbose logging and all of the files components had an entry similar to this:
MSI (s) (A8:D8) [15:44:13:403]: Component: AllOtherFiles28; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null

How do I force the upgrade to overwrite the old files?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
gbaltazar
Level 6

are the file versions in your new msi higher than those in your previous version?
0 Kudos
Joseph_Schrag
Level 6

I don't know how to check. Sorry, somewhat new. The documentation doesn't help much with that one.
0 Kudos
Joseph_Schrag
Level 6

This may help:

I noticed that the Install directory in the latest version of my installer is different than the one used in the older version. Several of the folders and files inside it have changed as well. However, the new installation directory is not created separately and does not overwrite the old one. How can I make this happen?
0 Kudos
Joseph_Schrag
Level 6

I finally found the problem. I simply had to update the product code (General Information --> Product Properties --> Product Code --> Generate Guid)
0 Kudos
ussraf
Level 6

Joseph Schrag wrote:
I finally found the problem. I simply had to update the product code (General Information --> Product Properties --> Product Code --> Generate Guid)

Then you did a major upgrade?
0 Kudos