cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Files for 32 Bit App in Program Files

Hi,
I need to develop an installer for an app that we have had out there for years. It is a 32 bit app but unfortunately it was written to be placed in 'C:\Program Files'. Of course the ideal situation would be to change the app; and I will explore that first. If that is not possible I can spoof InstallShield by marking the components as 64 bit and setting 'Template Summary' to "x64;1033". Has anyone done this? Other than the obvious difficulties that would arise if I needed to deal with 32/64 bit registry keys (probably don't need to), what other ramifications would this have?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Not applicable

You can easily install to "[ProgramFiles64Folder]\what\ever" and mark all your components '64-Bit component' to 'yes'. And if you need to write any registry entries to go in the x32 bit registry, just mark those '64-Bit component' to 'no'

However, not sure if you are reading the registry entries through your app because if you have "Program Files" hard-coded you could have HKLM\SOFTWARE\whatever hard-coded and you would need to look in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\whatever

Other than that - the OS or InstallShield doesn't care where you put your App, Windows is just setting standards for where to put your x64 and x32 bit programs and InstallShield is giving you a way to follow those standards.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks tmurnane
I was able to convince the developer to change the app... so this won't be an issue. But good to know.
Thanks again
0 Kudos