cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ceatlan
Level 2

File not getting included in Patch.

I've got a DLL which is in a component along withs its associated PDB file. The installer installs the DLL perfectly well, however when I create a patch even though the DLL is binarily different, has a later date and time stamp it never gets replaced as part of the patch process.

Any ideas why ? (The DLL is not versioned, and please don't tell me we have to start versioning our DLLs as we have hundreds).

It would also be useful if files were replaced even if they were identical but had later date/time stamps, since one of the first things that our support guys do when checking a problem installation is checking that the date/time stamps of all the files matches what is expected.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Ferocit
Level 3

You could check the modified date of the dll on the pc. If the modified date is not equal to the creation date, the file won't get replaced.

To make sure, that the file gets replaced, you could also check the "Always Overwrite" box of the DLL.
0 Kudos
Ceatlan
Level 2

The file modification date is indeed later for the version of the file in the patch compared to the earlier version, which is why I'm perplexed.

The other strange thing is that the DLL is the key file for the component, but I get the following error during the validation part of the build

The file 'pcrenderu.pdb1' in component 'CGToolsPCRender' is different from the file in the previous package, but the key file for this component did not change.

This is the component that contains the DLL and its accompanying PDB file. The DLL file has changed, why does the software think it has not ?
0 Kudos