cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albgio
Level 3

Feature size and customizable dialogs

Hello,
I'm evaluating IS2011 to migrate from an older version (5.5).

I successfully converted my old installation project and everything works, but I noticed few things that I'd like to improve.

1- In my old project, I used SdComponentDialog2; in IS2011, all component sizes are 0, even if they're checked. I've tried to use SdFeatureDialog2, SdFeatureTree and SdFeatureMult instead, but nothing changed. May I have to set some component property or something else!?

2- Is it possibile to customize also the progress bar dialog shown during MoveFileData? How can I do that?

3- I've modified a dialog, SdShowDlgEdit1: calling SdShowDlgEdit1 function show me the edited one, as expected. If I clone it, rename as SdShowDlgEdit1Custom, and revert SdShowDlgEdit1 to standard, how can I call SdShowDlgEdit1Custom?? I tried call i "by name" as SdShowDlgEdit1 but it doesn't work...

Thanks in advance to everyone for replies.
I also would know if any of the behaviours described are because of evaluation version or the only limitation is about the message at beginning.

Gio
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
albgio
Level 3

Hello again,
still any help or ideas about those problems?
About component size in dialogs, the only "solution" I found is to make invisibles disk labels in SdFeatureTree... but I still don't understand what's wrong with my components' size... Is there any option or flag to set on components to made it works?? I also notice a kind of "random" behave on available disk space while selecting and deselecting components...
0 Kudos
fegorsch
Level 3

to 3.:

if you are using an installscript based project you can use your custom dialog's ID to access it. this ID stays the same, when copying an existing dialog and it can't be edited in the dialog editor (property field is disabled, don't know why), so you have to change it manually in the direct editor. i think all IS default dialogs have IDs between 12000 and 12999, so i just used 13000, worked fine for me.

it's been a while since i did this, so i can't give you exact instructions on how to do this, sorry.

hope this, admittedly spare, information helps you a little,
regards, felix
0 Kudos
albgio
Level 3

Thanks Felix.
Looks like after manually changing dialog ID, it became enabled also in IS IDE (maybe there's a control on values...).
By the way, I've found that to call dialog by Id I've to use SdShowAnyDialog, but my dialog "inherits" from a SdShowDlgEdit, so looks like I have to manually change SdShowAnyDialog behave in Sdsadlg.rul to handle user feedback (as help says..).
Next problem: Sdsadlg.rul is missing... maybe because in evaluation version not all .rul files are provided...?
0 Kudos
fegorsch
Level 3

i'm glad hearing you're making progress.

i found the post that helped me, didn't really get into SdShowAnyDialog, but i think this is a different approach:

Here is the process I take for handling Custom Dialog boxes
1. Switch to Dialog under User Interface
2. Create your custom dialog box with all its controls the way you need it.
3. Swtich to direct editor and select the Dialog table.
4. When you created your dialog you could specify the name you want for the dialog. That name should appear in this table.
5. Find that name and then scroll all the way to the right. The very last column contains the ID.
6. It seems that the default for this ID is 0 (unless I am doing something wrong). Change it to a number that does not conflict with existing dialogs. I usually use numbers in the 13000 range. What value you specify here you have to now define in your script.

Here is how I handle defining my dialogs.
1. Create a CustomDialogs.h file (the name does not matter).
2. In this .h file create prototypes and defines for each dialog and their controls.

[...]

3. Create a CustomDialogs.rul file (name does not matter) and define your functions.

[...]

source: http://community.flexerasoftware.com/archive/index.php?t-144126.html

since i just slightly modified the SdLicenseEx dialog to show a readme, i just copied it's source from [ISProgramFolder]\2011\Script\Isrt\src\ISRTScriptDialogs.rul and put that and the according prototype into my setup.rul
0 Kudos
albgio
Level 3

Hello again
I've migrated my old project from IS 5.5 to 2011 (licensed PRO version). Everything fine...
There's still just one thing: component size in SdFeatureTree for selected components is always 0 and also disk space total amount doesn't change selecting/deselecting components..
Why!?

thanks in advance
Gio
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The feature size is dependent upon the target installation path (more specifically, the drive the path resides on). Verify that the script is not changing the target paths unexpectedly or to paths that may not be usable (read-only, no free space, etc.). A quick check to see if the issue is script related or media related would be to use a default script temporarily in the project. If the issue no longer occurs, start looking through the script to see if there is anything related to the target path or to the feature themselves that might be an issue. If the issue still occurs with a default script, it may help to see the built data1.hdr and data1.cab files to see if there are any issues that jump out (you can always view the contents of data1.hdr with the Cab Viewer to see if all the features, components, and files are included as expected).
0 Kudos