cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visnarel
Level 3

Feature Transfer Error

Installscript projects seem to have a major problem with larger install sizes. If I make an installer that's more than a gig in size my main build machine can't properly run the setup, it gets to the first file and brings up a

"Feature Transfer Error"
"DefaultFeature"
"Catastrophic Failure"

I tried to get around this problem by releasing our installers with two 512meg files which seemed to have worked internally, but out in the field we're getting reports of this exact same message seemingly at random.

Steps to reproduce:
Create a generic installscript project
Add 1 gig of files
build single image
run the setup.exe

first file that it tries to transfer ... Feature transfer error

it has nothing to do with
KB Q111007
Turning off the update service has no effect
Installshield 2008
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Visnarel
Level 3

A number of these machines are actually Japanese users (although it's the same installer for everyone) the machines are all different, most are using XP.
0 Kudos
Visnarel
Level 3

Another bug, installs of this nature over ~256 megs no longer properly associate the icon with the installer, below this and you see the chosen icon, above it and it shows up as the "missing icon" icon
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't know anything helpful for your feature transfer error, but I was looking into other things not long ago and ran into a Windows limitation relevant to your icon problem. Above a certain size the icon for an exe is not shown on XP, but is on Vista. I thought this size was somewhere around 430MB, but I could be misremembering or it could be exe-dependent (I was testing with compressed exe files from Basic MSI projects).
0 Kudos
Visnarel
Level 3

Not quite a year later, and here I am again fighting with around a 5% failure rate with this wonderfully useless message

I don't understand why all of the various posts about catastrophic errors are dead-ends for everyone.

I can understand if this was a complicated scripted section that's trying to do something fancy, but this is just the default program copy into a simple TargetDir.

It doesn't seem to be region specific, we're getting these reports from our users in nearly every country that we sell to. Anyone have any suggestions at all?
0 Kudos
EricJK
Level 2

I can confirm that I have the exact same problem on XP.
0 Kudos