cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carsten711
Level 5

Feature Prerequisite Problem

Hello,
I have problems with the Feature Prerequisite. I integrate a MSI-File into a Feature Prerequisite, I tie together this with a feature. The Prerequisite is executed after the dialogs and ends fine. However, directly afterwards starts a secound instance of my Setup MSI as a Silentinstallation, executed with ACTION=ADVERTISE ->This may not happen. After the advertised silent installatione ends, the Setup starts the Execute Sequenz.
I have found out that it deals with the release - setting „advertise, if condition enlarged rights require“ in the release view. If this stands on "UI" or „without user intervention“, the Silent Advertisement is executed. If the setting stands on "none" then everything is fine.
But the setting should be only for Vista, however, I just use Windows XP! I think here is a bug.

I'm using IS2009 SP2 German with Basic MSI.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hi, thanks for reporting this! It's now tracked under number IOC-000075193. In terms of prioritizing a fix for this problem, do you need the advertise behavior (for Vista) and are having problems on XP, or is this causing no problems and/or is something you can just disable for now?
0 Kudos
carsten711
Level 5

i turned on "Advertise if Prerequisites Are Elevated" to test the behavior. But if i turned on this, there are Problems with XP because the advertising is running for XP too.
I can resolve this by disable the advertise behavior, so it will not run in Vista and XP, but i'm not sure whether i need this function for vista.

By the way,
i'm installing a msi with this feature prerequisite, is there an easy way to uninstall this msi if the uninstall from my Setup is running. Child Setups e.g Custom Action Type 39 are not recommend from Microsoft.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The advertisement option is not required for Vista. At most it helps by reducing the number of UAC prompts your installation process will require.

As for uninstall, prerequisites don't really deal with uninstall at all, so don't have a good answer. If you're ready to require MSI 4.5, it's probably better to switch to the transaction processing support it offers (see the Chained MSI packages on the Releases view).
0 Kudos