cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjparker
Level 2

Feature GUID location?

I have a product that has a primary GUID for product installation then three install types to pick from, each of which contains an individual GUID. I am trying to locate where InstallShield puts that GUID code for the feature at.

I know it has to put something relation to it somewhere because when you run an install of the package on a new version, it automatically upgrades the machine based on the install type they selected.

I ran a full registry scan for partial segments of the feature GUIDs, entire HDD search for files containing the feature GUID and/or parts of it. No results.

I ran ProcMon during installation with un-filtered data. From there I attempted to filter the data looking for anything that contained the GUID of the feature. I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know where InstallShield saves the information of the features you selected for install so that it performs an upgrade it knows only to upgrade those features?

I've tried every trick in the book and just can't seem to win on finding how this software looks for an upgrade type.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
cjparker
Level 2

Ok so I may have narrowed it down myself. It appears that regardless the feature GUID is an internal configuration that is saved in the primary product GUIDs location of the Installshield directory (in this case; C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID}).

So my now refined question is ... does anyone know where it saves it? I see there is a .ISN, .INX, .ILG, .BIN, and .HDR file in there that seem to contain configuration information.

My guess is it's inside one of those files (if not multiple). It also seems that it has hard-coded the paths in there which doesn't make sense since it's also in the systems registry already...

Is there a way to read/edit those files? Or does anyone know which file contains the configuration information? It appears that the files are in some sort of encoded text/language that I'm unable to read.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos