cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vijayakumar
Level 6

Fatal Error During Uninstall

Hi,

I am using setup.exe to install my aplication. The setup internally calls the main msi.
During installation, i need to check any instances of winword.exe is running, if so i need to show a msg and abort the installation. For that i wrote a vbscripr custom action and it is working fine.

But my problem is, i need to do this during uninstall also. So, I called the CA before launch condition and set the condition to the launch condition sequence as Not Installed or Installed. But when i tried to uninstall from Add Remove Programs, this CA gets triggered and the installation aborts.And after that I am getting an error message as ' Fatal Error During installation'.

When i tried uninstalling using the cmd line with the product GUID, this error is not thrown.

The error occurs only when we uninstall using add remove programs. The error description is also not informative.

Can anyone pls help me on this as I am stuck with this.

Thanks,
Vijay
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
vijayakumar
Level 6

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Vijaya Kumar
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to perform this on the first time that you install then the condition should be : Not Installed

If you are trying to perform a custom action on uninstall the condition should something like : REMOVE="ALL" - assuming everything is being uninstalled.

Therefore I think your custom action condition should be something along the line of: Not Installed OR REMOVE="ALL"

I was having the same error message but that was because I was calling my custom action too soon. I read this document which helped clarify things.....maybe it will provide some help for you.

http://www.macrovision.com/webdocuments/PDF/msiconditions.pdf
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion. When i went through the pdf file, it says that REMOVE="ALL" condition can be given only after install validate Sequence.
But, i need to run this script(check whether winword is running) and check that in launch condition. The Launchcondition is placed in the 4th sequence from the top, which is well above installvalidate, in sequence. So, how can i handle this condition.

Hope i am clear in explaining..

Thanks,
VijayaKumar
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

Hi,

Can you pls guide me on this?

Thanks,
VijayaKumar
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can change the order of the Execute sequence so that Installvalidate can be called earlier.

I am very new to installshield so I can't guarantee that it will work but might be worth a go?
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

Ok. I shall have a try with that.
I thought of this earlier, but i am afraid whether changing the Installvalidate sequence will affect any other.

But, i will try that and let u know.

Thanks Steve.

VijayaKumar
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

Hi,

I tried calling installvalidate earlier in the sequence and called my 'vbscript' CA after that. But still I am encountering the same error.

I got another solution when i surfer
http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/0308-articles/msi.asp

But when i tried this, even now i am getting the same fatal error after aborting the uninstallation.
I am afraid whether this is an OS error which we get when we try to uninstall from Add Remove Program and then aborting in the middle of uninstallation?

Can anyone Guide me?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

Hi All,

Any solution to my problem?

Thanks
0 Kudos