cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewRich
Level 5

False "Out of Disk Space" error

When doing a fresh install of our product on XP, the "Computing space requirements" dialog is shown for an extended period of time and then an "Out of Disk Space" dialog is shown. Note that there is plenty of space, even as shown on the dialog itself.

When installing the same product on Win7, again the "Computing space requirements" is shown for much longer than it should and then a "Could not access network location" error is shown. This is a self-contained downloadable .exe installer so there are no network locations that should be necessary.

Please see the attached screen shots.

I will happily provide any logging or other data but I'll need to know how to generate them.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
AndrewRich
Level 5

Here is the msiexec log for running the installation on XP. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for but I do notice these:

Action start 15:46:05: CostInitialize.
Action ended 15:46:05: CostInitialize. Return value 1.
Action 15:46:05: FileCost. Computing space requirements
Action start 15:46:05: FileCost.
Action ended 15:46:05: FileCost. Return value 1.

Action 15:46:05: ResolveSource.
Action start 15:46:05: ResolveSource.
Action ended 15:46:05: ResolveSource. Return value 1.
Action 15:46:05: CostFinalize. Computing space requirements
Action start 15:46:05: CostFinalize.
Action ended 15:46:53: CostFinalize. Return value 1.

I've also uploaded the log with "vx" options turned on.

I'd really appreciate some assistance on this urgent problem.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Andrew,

Pulling at the BIN thread, the logs contain:
DIRPROPERTY2.F17A1AA9_EF92_4FBF_98C8_432A455F1E10 = BIN\
and:
DIRPROPERTY2.F17A1AA9_EF92_4FBF_98C8_432A455F1E10 property. Its current value is 'BIN'. Its new value: 'BIN\'.
and to top it off quite a few copies of:
MSI (c) (F0:EC) [17:15:55:560]: Note: 1: 2303 2: 2 3: BIN\
where 2303 is "Error getting volume info. GetLastError: [2]", and "[2] = 2" = "The system cannot find the file specified" = "hmmm." Anything fishy going on in that merge module?

Strange that the logs don't mention the fatal 1606 error, though. The MSI help says this about 1606:
Do not list directories in the Directory table which are not used by the installation.

Rarely, this message is due to the issue discussed by KB886549.
so it might have something to do with the issue.

Robert

P.S. The error 1606 not showing up in the logs might be a combination of your having generated the logs on Windows XP, your seeing 1606 on Windows 7, and my not reading carefully enough. Still...
0 Kudos
AndrewRich
Level 5

Robert,

You're still a genius. The path for one component in that merge module was missing "INSTALLDIR" before the destination directory name. Your analysis helped me find it.

Thanks as always.
0 Kudos