cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johndoecal
Level 3

Extract COM Data for Key File - The string is too long

Hi,

when I'm extracting Extract COM Data for Key File in InstallShield 2010 I receive the following error message:

Field "Description" of table "Class": The string is too long for the length specified by the column definition.

Does that mean that the registration will work, but the String has truncated? How do I work around this?

Thanks for any advice
John
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
matthewoflynn
Level 3

Hi,

when I'm extracting Extract COM Data for Key File in InstallShield 2010 I receive the following error message:
"Field "Description" of table "Class": The string is too long for the length specified by the column definition."

Does that mean that the registration will work, but the String has truncated? How do I work around this?

Thanks for any advice
John

Hi John,

I've run into a similar problem when I try to extract the COM data from a DLL which is a key file. When I do this in the IDE I get the following error:

Field "Registry" of table "Registry": The string is too long for the length specified by the column definition

Just wondering if you found any solution to your problem or found reason why it happens?

I have a suggestion for you to work around it, if its any use at this stage:

• Instead of extracting the COM data in InstallShield or setting "COM Extract at Build" to Yes you can specify that the DLL registers itself during installation. This is known as Self-Registration however it is against Windows Installer Best Practices.

To do this, open the component > Files > right-click on the DLL > Click properties > Select Self Register

Alternatively, it could be possible that the following known issue is affecting you: Link to InstallShield Knowledge Base

Best regards,
Matt
0 Kudos