cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Videstra
Level 7

Express 2009 and DOTNET 3.5 SP1

Is there an update that allows Express 2009 to install and verify DOTNET 3.5 SP1? It only has options for DOTNET 3.5 at the moment.

I found the following update:

http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalID=Q200284

But the link to the zip file at the end does nothing (i.e. appears broken) ...

Destek
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

It looks like you were viewing that KB article without the frame window. Try the link at the bottom of this page (which is the same KB article, but displayed within the navigational frame):
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q200284
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 7

Thanks Debbie - Your link worked!
Now I can include .NET 3.5SP1 with my application, however shouldn't there also now be a .NET 3.5 SP1 is Installed option under System Software Requirements?
Is there a file I can edit to add that to the list? Remember I have IS2009 Express.
There are several posts that I've seen that talk about editing the installation properties so that DOTNETVERSION35>="3.5.21022.08" - but in IS Express there appears to be no access to the "installation properties"

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 7

I discovered that in IS2009 Express there is the ability to create a new launch condition in the requirements section. Unfortunately it is broken - anything you do fails. It looks like the wizard does not fill out the table correctly.

Des
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

A predefined system search for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 was added in InstallShield 2010 Express. It is not available for InstallShield 2009 Express. However, you should be able to manually add a system search for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in InstallShield 2009 Express. You can do so in the Requirements view: Right-click System Software Requirements, and then click Create New Launch Condition. Create a registry entry search with the following settings.

• Registry Root: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • Registry Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5
  • Registry Value: SP

About this:
Unfortunately it is broken - anything you do fails. It looks like the wizard does not fill out the table correctly.

Can you provide more information about what you tried and how it fails?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 7

DebbieL wrote:

Can you provide more information about what you tried and how it fails?

Sure: Using IS2009 Express:
Under Installation Designer >> Requirements I right click on System Software Requirements and choose Create New Launch Condition.

This puts me into the wizard. In the wizard I set the following items

Page 1
(nothing to set here)

Page 2
Choose the item you want to search by from the list below:
I set this to Registry entry

Page 3
Registry Root:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Registry Key:
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\SP

Registry Value: (Optional)

Page 4
Your installation will be allowed to proceed if the search you created is:
Found

Enter the the text you wish to display to the user, when the installation is halted because the above condition is not met:
Installation cannot continue because .NET 3.5 SP1 is required

I click finish and a new entry is made in the System Software Requirements tree. It has no name - just an underscore.

After creating this it is checked. I recompile and even if .NET 3.5 SP1 is installed (and the registry key is present) it always fails.

Destek
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I can't reproduce that. When I try those steps, the name for the new requirement in the tree is SP, not an underscore.

Can you try adding the attached .ini file to InstallShield Program Files Folder\Searches? You'll probably need to restart InstallShield after doing that. Once you do that, you should see the predefined search on the Installation Requirements page of the Project Assistant.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 7

Hmm - wonder what is wrong with mine!
Your ini file seems to work perfectly - it even adds the proper entry in the requirements section.
Thanks a lot!

(BTW - I edited my previous post because this brings IS2009 up to speed nicely)
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Ah, I just noticed your steps were slightly different than mine. It looks like the values that you entered for the Registry Key setting and the Registry Value setting were not quite correct. (The SP part of the path should have been moved from the Registry Key setting to the Registry Value setting.) In any case, I'm glad the .ini file solved the issue for you.
0 Kudos
Videstra
Level 7

That makes sense, but how do you enter the value of the key?
Do you put something like

SP=1

or is it just sensitive to the presence of the key regardless of the value?

Des
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

The .ini file that Debbie provided sets the search to look for the value of "1" in the SP key. If you were to create your own search through the System Search Wizard, in Express you would only be able to detect the presence of the SP key itself, not any specific values that it may hold.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos