cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davguent
Level 3

Error with IISRT: -2147024891

Problem:
I am trying to create a MSI package which will create a APPPool, Virtual website in IIS, associates website with APPPool created and then install path to website which is not INSTALLDIR which results in " Error with IISRT: -2147024891"

If I leave the "Home Directory" value within InstallShield to [InstallDir] I do not receive an error. If I try to point the web to a subdirectory named 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Virtual Machine Acquisition Server\web\ I get the error.

Value in InstallShield [INSTALLDIR]web which causes the error

[Error]
InstallShield 12:57:09: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/VMAS2010' and physical path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Virtual Machine Acquisition Server\web\'.
MSI (s) (78!BC) [12:57:09:371]: Closing MSIHANDLE (517) of type 790531 for thread 4284
MSI (s) (78!BC) [12:57:09:372]: Creating MSIHANDLE (518) of type 790531 for thread 4284
InstallShield 12:57:09: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.
MSI (s) (78!BC) [12:57:09:372]: Closing MSIHANDLE (518) of type 790531 for thread 4284
MSI (s) (78!BC) [12:57:09:382]: Creating MSIHANDLE (519) of type 790531 for thread 4284
InstallShield 12:57:09: Error with IISRT: -2147024891
MSI (s) (78!BC) [12:57:09:383]: Closing MSIHANDLE (519) of type 790531 for thread 4284
CustomAction ISIISInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
MSI (s) (78:FC) [12:57:09:385]: Closing MSIHANDLE (240) of type 790536 for thread 3272

Install Shield 2010 Professional Edition Version 16
Target Platform Windows Server 2008 R2 with II7

I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback as I cannot seem to work around this.

Regards,

Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

When changing the Content Source Path setting, please ensure that you are clicking the '...' button to browse/create a new directory entry, or selecting one from the drop-down in this field. If you are typing [INSTALLDIR]web directly into this field, this path will not resolve at runtime and will eventually cause a runtime error (this particular issue will be resolved in the next release of InstallShield).
0 Kudos
davguent
Level 3

Thanks for your response John.

I have been careful to only use the elipsis ... I am not manually entering any paths. So to clarify, are you saying that currently there is a bug which does not allow changing the InstallDir to a subdirectory?

Perhaps there is a workaround?

I appreciate your assistance.

Dave
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

As long as you see a directory key (such as {WEB} or {INSTALLDIR_SUBFOLDER}, for example) along with the path ([INSTALLDIR]web), you can install to any folder that is present and accessible on a target machine. The issue with the content path occurs when a subfolder is typed directly into the content path field, which does not properly select or create a subfolder in the Directory table.

The error you are seeing indicates 'access denied' to some resource. Unfortunately, without further context from the log, or reproduction steps, I can't say for sure what exactly the cause of this particular failure is. As a first step, you may try verifying the permissions on the folder you are attempting to install to allows access for the LocalSystem account and the current user at the very least, as IIS will attempt to write to a file named web.config in the physical folder path (if you are installing a file with this name, also ensure the permissions on the file and verify it is not installed read-only). If this checks out, then the next step would be to try isolating the issue in the current project or try reproducing it in a sample project.
0 Kudos
davguent
Level 3

I had to revisit this issue and wanted to post resolution. John was right in the access denied, root cause was within my default website web.config file was marked as read only. I located the file within my project and unchecked read only and provided permissions to local system for full control.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
0 Kudos