cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesPritchard
Level 3

Error when removing a Suite installation

I'm currently developing a Suite Package that attempts to install several msi's wrapped in exe's.

For each package I've defined a detection condition that consists of the msi package code and added command line arguments for install and removal that look like:

/s /v"/qn"

and

/s /x /v"qn"

It's working fine apart from when I install a package independently of the suite package.

If I install a package before running the Suite and then run the Suite I get the option to Modify/Repair/Remove. Modifying the Suite doesn't put down the package as it satisfies the detection condition but when I attempt to Remove the Suite, I get the error:

The installation of [PackageName] appears to have failed. Do you want to continue the installation?

I think I've encountered this error, after installing a Suite package, when I defined a detection condition that still wasn't satisfied after installation.

Does anyone know where I might be going wrong or is this a limitation?

Should I be changing the detection condition of my packages or not making them Primary packages?

Thankyou for any help anyone can give my on this,
James
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
rguggisberg
Level 13

My Suite allows the user to install manually outside the suite. Please verify that you have 'Repair' and 'Modify' set to 'No' for each package.
0 Kudos
JamesPritchard
Level 3

Thanks for your response rguggisberg,

I removed the options to Modify and Repair from my Suite Packages and tried again installing a package out of the Suite. When I then Remove the package through the Suite installer I still get the error:

The installation [PackageName] appears to have failed.

I'm currently doing my testing with just one package that doesn't need updating so maybe it will resolve itself when I start testing with more packages, which, may or may not be newer versions than those already installed.
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

If you run a suite, the setup.exe checks the detections for all primary packages. If it finds one it goes to maintenance mode.

I think you have two options, define these packages a "dependency" or modify the detection mode.

regards

Markus
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

JamesPritchard wrote:
Thanks for your response rguggisberg,

I removed the options to Modify and Repair from my Suite Packages and tried again installing a package out of the Suite. When I then Remove the package through the Suite installer I still get the error:

The installation [PackageName] appears to have failed.

I'm currently doing my testing with just one package that doesn't need updating so maybe it will resolve itself when I start testing with more packages, which, may or may not be newer versions than those already installed.

You may have another problem. What do you have for:
Remove - Target\and
Remove - EXE Command Line
?
0 Kudos
JamesPritchard
Level 3

Hi rguggisberg,

For the Removal of the package I've simply defined the target as the package executable [PackageName].exe

and set the Command line as

/s /x /v"qn"

James
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Use this for command line
-uninst /S /vqn
0 Kudos
JamesPritchard
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion rguggisberg,

I tried what you said and tested installing and removing through the Suite installer. With the command line you gave me
-uninst /S /vqn
along with other variations. I also tried
/s /uninstall /v"/qn"
. All of these failed to remove my product. The only command line that works for me to remove the package in the Suite was my original commands:
/s /x /v"/qn"

I think I will look at making only our main package a Primary package and set the option in the Suite project to not add an entry in the Add/Remove programs. This will hopefully limit the possibility of users getting errors when they remove our software.

Thanks,
James
0 Kudos