cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sk1f23
Level 3

Error signing MSI package

Recently I started getting errors about signing the .msi package when building installation.

Before anyone suggests invalid certificate or credentials - we use the same certificate and credentials for all other installations projects and they all build correctly.

The only project that fails is "mothership" installation that contains few sub-installations and a launcher (which are all successfully build with the same signing certificate).

If I disable the packaging of the installation into a single setup.exe file, the .msi appears to be correctly signed. The installation build succeeds if I disable signing of the .msi package and only sign setup.exe

Here is how the end of the build log looks like:
----------------------------------------------
Media table successfully built
Started signing certificate.msi ...
Successfully signed: certificate.msi
Performing Upgrading and Patching Validation
Started signing MyProduct.msi ...
Successfully signed: MyProduct.msi
ISDEV : error -6258: An error occurred extracting digital signature information from file "C:\...\DiskImages\DISK1\MyProduct.msi". Make sure the digital signature information provided in the IDE is correct.
ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\...\DiskImages\DISK1\MyProduct.isc' into setup.exe

My only idea is that I added .NET 4.0 prerequisite to few sub-installations, which resulted in bigger installation package footprint and this somehow resulted in this error.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Since you mention size, what platform are you building on, and what cumulative sizes are you talking about? More recent versions of Windows are more resilient to extracting information (signatures, icons, etc.) from larger files than, say, Windows XP was.
0 Kudos
sk1f23
Level 3

Michael,

We are building on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. The cummulative size is 374Mb when I build it as a single .msi package and 376Mb when packed into setup.exe.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hmm. That's a little smaller than I thought the cutoff was, but it is fairly environment specific. If you do not receive this error when you cut down on the size of the .msi file but make no other changes, it's definitely what I'd bet is the problem.

The Windows Vista / 2008 memory management improvements generally resolve the cases of this that I've seen. Might you be able to upgrade your build machine? Unfortunately the errors that result in this message will all be behind a call to a function (perhaps WinVerifyTrust) that happens to not handle large files very well, which leaves us no room on our end to fix this in our code.
0 Kudos
sk1f23
Level 3

Installing Windows Server 2008 solved the issue, thanks for you input, Michael.
0 Kudos
zych72
Level 2

sk1f23 wrote:
Recently I started getting errors about signing the .msi package when building installation.

Before anyone suggests invalid certificate or credentials - we use the same certificate and credentials for all other installations projects and they all build correctly.

The only project that fails is "mothership" installation that contains few sub-installations and a launcher (which are all successfully build with the same signing certificate).

If I disable the packaging of the installation into a single setup.exe file, the .msi appears to be correctly signed. The installation build succeeds if I disable signing of the .msi package and only sign setup.exe

Here is how the end of the build log looks like:
Media table successfully built
Started signing certificate.msi ...
Successfully signed: certificate.msi
Performing Upgrading and Patching Validation
Started signing MyProduct.msi ...
Successfully signed: MyProduct.msi
ISDEV : error -6258: An error occurred extracting digital signature information from file "C:\...\DiskImages\DISK1\MyProduct.msi". Make sure the digital signature information provided in the IDE is correct.
ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\...\DiskImages\DISK1\MyProduct.isc' into setup.exe

My only idea is that I added .NET 4.0 prerequisite to few sub-installations, which resulted in bigger installation package footprint and this somehow resulted in this error.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

I also have this issue after windows update. My Windows version is Server 2008 R2 X64, IS 2010.
I use windbg to debug, found IS crash at wintrust.dll!WinVerifyTrust ,
then I search all the x86 version of wintrust.dll , and replace back the V6.1.7601.21933 to sysWow64, and the issue is ok.
0 Kudos