cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry_G
Level 3

Error 6516 During Basic MSI with Mobile Device Build

When building a Basic MSI project that includes a mobile device CAB that contains more than one file targeting a specific platform, error 6516 occurs and the CAB file(s) are not built or included in the MSI.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new Basic MSI project in InstallShield 2009.
2. Run the Windows Mobile Wizard from the Mobile Devices view to add a new CAB to the installation.
3. In the Device Files wizard dialog, add two or more files.
4. In the # Device Files dialog that appears when adding the files, select the Processor/Platform tab, select the "Specific platform/processor" radio button, and uncheck all but two of the platforms listed.
5. Complete the Windows Mobile Wizard.
6. Build the installation.

Result:
The error "Error in populating the Binary table records for Windows Mobile Setup: [AppName]", Error Code -6516.

Comments:
Acresso support has confirmed this to be a bug in InstallShield 2009 and was not fixed in IS2009 Service Pack 1.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Jerry_G
Level 3

The workaround for this bug is to add the files in the device files wizard dialog once for each platform and target just one platform at a time.
0 Kudos
racoon82nz
Level 4

I'm getting the same error with my InstallScript MSI project. It appears they haven't fixed it in SP2. I will try to aforementioned workaround.
0 Kudos
mwagner
Level 2

I'm experiencing this same problem with SP2 installed. Has anyone been successful with the workaround?

After adding the files in the device files wizard dialog once for each platform, how do we tell InstallShield to target just one platform at a time?

If anyone could provide more details it would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos