cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clayton
Level 3

Error -6264 - Adding Shortcut DisplayName and Description for different Languages

Hello

We are having an issue using the Automation Interface IswiAuto15 to add shortcuts for the different languages other then the default language. During the build process we receive the following errors for each shortcut defined:

ISDEV : error -6264: A record in the Shortcut table is using string ID 'ID_STRING265' for column 'Name' but this string is blank and the column is not nullable
ISDEV : error -6264: A record in the Shortcut table is using string ID 'ID_STRING266' for column 'Description' but this string is blank and the column is not nullable

We’ve recently upgraded to the Premier edition to add additional languages to our MSI project. This MSI project is setup in an automated build environment where we start with a template MSI project containing all the static information and then have a VBScript that generates most of the MSI project dynamically including the components and shortcuts.

Prior to adding the additional languages in the VBScript we’d defined the display name and the description using the properties of the shortcut after creating it with the AddShortcut method and everything worked fine.

With the addition of the extra languages, the ID_STRINGs assigned for the name and description for each additional languages are blank and causing the error during the build. The additional languages are defined in the template MSI package as there is some static text for the dialogs that needs to be localized.

I’ve tried using the ActiveLanguage property to switch between the default language (English) and the other languages and set the shortcut’s name and description in that language expecting it to overwrite their ID_STRING values in that language but that just results in new ID_STRINGs being created with the values for that language and the default language being defined but blank for the rest. Only the first defined ID_STRINGs are related to the shortcuts the others are not.

How do I dynamically either add the shortcut display name and description for all the languages or figure out and manipulate the ID_STRINGs for the shortcut for each language?

Thanks
Clayton
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
clayton
Level 3

I found my error. I was only paying attention to one set of shortcuts on the Start Menu when comparing the ID_STRINGs not the ones I was actually testing my fix on which were on the Desktop. The ActiveLanguage property works as I expected.

Thanks
Clayton
0 Kudos