cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

Error 1920 Service '[2]' ([3]) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficie

Hi,

I install a own NT service durring the setup. This works fine.

But the entry Control NT Services -> .... -> Install Start = Yes to start the just install service, leads to the error with the error code 1920. In your knowledge base you offere 3 suggestion to solve that error:

Resolution A. use internal name ==> I do
Resolution B. check dependcies ==> my service doesn't depend on other services
Resolution C. verify that the right user is logged on ==> I am logged on as administrator with all privilege rights

Can somebody tell me, what's the reason for the described problem / error 1920.
And how I can solve it.

Thanks for your fast answer in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(20) Replies
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

What a greate tool is this InstallShield! --- And even much better as this tool is the support of that amazing software vendor named Acressor! :mad: :mad: :mad:
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

What are your other service settings? For example, are you installing to the LocalSystem account or to the administrator account? Normally even the Administrator account does not have the log-on-as-service privilege...

(As an aside, these forums are intended primarily as user-to-user support. Please click the "Service-Level Agreement" link at the bottom of any page for more information and options.)
0 Kudos
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

I started the setup as administrator. Therefore all rights are present!

What other settings do you exactly need to know?
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

Have you tried to install and run the service on the command line.
Does this work ?
Normally if you develop a service you also implement the options to install/uninstall on the command line.
0 Kudos
dan_galender
Level 10

ThePerfectWave wrote:

Resolution B. check dependcies ==> my service doesn't depend on other services

But does your service executable have dependencies (on DLLs, for example) that aren't being deployed in your project?
0 Kudos
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

@MarkusLatz:
--------------
Yes I did.
- My service can be install / uninstall with a command line argument /I and /U. And this works.

Also the Service Installation with the InstallShield works. The problme is, that setting "Install Start" (in Control NT Services) to Yes doesn't work.

It doesn't start my new and correct installed service.

@DanGalender:
---------------
My Service doesn't depend on other services.
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

Only for my mind:
Your setup installs the service, but receive an error message trying to start.
If you afterwards try to start the installed service interactively it works ?
0 Kudos
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

That's exactly the case.

What can be the reason for that problem? What can I try, change.... ?
0 Kudos
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

Now I created a complelte new Setup-project.

This new Setup-project just contains, the installation of
my service.

And in "Control NT Services" a event with the setting
"Install Start" = Yes.

I run this new setup as Admininstrator. And I receive the same Error with
the error number 1920.

This is a very simple Setup-project, containing no trash no other task .....
This should work....
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

I had this problem long time ago. And it was a problem of the local policy "Log on as a service". Add the user account under which the service later run. If it is local system add the system user.
0 Kudos
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

Thanks for that fast answer.

Where do I have to add the user.

"NT Services" -> User Name ?

I tried this, but it didn't work.
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

You have to add this in the local security policy. Under which OS do you try ?
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Try to start your service in command box after installation:

net start yourServiceName
0 Kudos
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

@MarkusLatz
XP Embbeded Standard 2009

@Roman1
Sure this works. But I want to start it within the IS-Setup. So that the other applications, comming with this service, and using this service, can be started right after the installation.
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

Hhm, I never used "XP Embbeded Standard 2009". But you can start a new task (with start->run or in cmd-window) "mmc". In this console open the template \system32\secpol.msc. On the right side you should see the "Log on as a service" policy. Doubleclick -> Add User or Group. There you can add the user account under which the service should run. For test purpose try to add also LOCAL SERVICE, SERVICE and SYSTEM.

In case of my problem I had, my service run under a special local account (de\ml12bel) so I added this account and after it works.
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

@Roman1
Thank you for the link to the thread, that's what I'm talking about.
0 Kudos
ThePerfectWave
Level 5

Thanks for all your answers.

But unfortunatly no one of those both solution are practicable for my project. Sicne we can't tell our customers, first to do that changes with the "mmc - secpol.msc" manually.

Also I can't use the solution with that new NT-tool. If I would include that NT tool into my setup and do the corresponding call from a IS-script and if it would work, I am not sure by I think we will run into a copyright protection problem, with delivering Microsoft-NT-tools, with our setup.

Now I wrote an own DLL, wich I call from a user script. In my DLL I grab the SCM and start herewith the service. This work fine durring the installation. But the resultion problem is:

http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?p=444735#post444735

since I don't now, how to suppress the call of my user-script, durring the uninstallation.

Any hints ? :confused: :confused:

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

(Follow-up of sorts [post=444738]here[/post].)
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

@ThePerfectWave:

Your problem was:

"Can somebody tell me, what's the reason for the described problem / error 1920."

and the community gives you a hint why you got the error message and how to solve.

It's your work to include in your installshield project. And if you are a professional developer it's 15-30 minutes work to make a DLL in Visual Studio with use of SDK's from Microsoft.
0 Kudos