cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qktechltd
Level 2

Error 1904, the dll failed to register

A dll program can be installed on a computer where it was compiled without any problem. If the setup.exe generated by InstallShield is copied and executed on another computer, the following error occurs during the installation: Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\My Company Name\My Product Name\plugins\SampleIME.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473

I need to test whether setup.exe can be installed by other users on their computers.

On both computers I have Windows 8.1 32bit with latest updates. The program was compiled in the Visual Studio Community 2013. I generated setup.exe with InstallShield Express and also with InstallShield Limited Edition. The registration type: self-registration. The program was installed as a administrator.

To recreate this issue you can use the sample code https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsdesktop/Input-Method-Editor-IME-b1610980 which has also step by step instructions.

Thanks for any help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Did you check if all dependencies of SampleIME.dll are installed on the machines where the problem occurs?
0 Kudos
qktechltd
Level 2

The static dependency checker (at the Installshield Express Edition) identified these dependencies: ucrtbased.dll, Visual C++ 14.0 CRT (x64), Visual C++ 14.0 DebugCRT (ARM). I have also included these, but the result is the same.
0 Kudos