cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charles_west
Level 2

Error 1904 can't register dll when installing on Vista

There seems to be a lot of people experiencing this issue. I'm trying to deploy an app that uses Crystal Reports. It works fine when deploying to XP, but gives the 1904 errors when installing on Vista. If I manually install the c++ Redist first, then the install works fine on Vista.

So, being that I have IS 2008 Express, I don't have the prerequisite editor, but I need to get the c++ redist installed as a prereq. I tried manually creating a prereq file (they're just XML), but the prereq ran extreamly slow and ultimately failed.

Why is it that this issue occurs in the first place? I'm including the c++ 8.0 atl but it doesn't seem to make a difference on Vista.

How can I create a prerequisite for the c++ redist? I couldn't find any documentation on the XML format for prereq files.

Has anyone else resolved this issue in other ways?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
cwright
Level 3

I couldn't get past the C++ redistributables either.

What I did: Created a Bootstrapper project to check for and install prerequisites if necessary. It's fast, small, and uses Microsoft's website to obtain the redistributable package if needed, keeping the installer from being bloated.

More info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163899.aspx
0 Kudos
cwright
Level 3

I had to create a bootstrapper MSI with the C++ redistributable via VS2005 (installer Project, include the C++ as a prereq) to be installed first and seperately. I would like to know the "proper" answer. Seems like several of these MSM redistributables act differently when included in the package - how can you assign a pre-installation order if they aren't prerequisites?
0 Kudos