cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmetzler
Level 6

Error 1721?

I have provided an .msi installer to a client to test, but they are getting the following error:

Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run.

Is this an issue with the runtime version of the Windows Installer on the user's computer?

Thanks in advance,

Don Metzler
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
dan_galender
Level 10

Does your MSI have any custom actions that call executables (EXEs or DLLs)? If so, these executables may have dependencies that aren't on the target system.
0 Kudos
dmetzler
Level 6

DanGalender wrote:
Does your MSI have any custom actions that call executables (EXEs or DLLs)? If so, these executables may have dependencies that aren't on the target system.

Yes, there is a custom EXE which is called. I will check that.

Thanks,

Don
0 Kudos
dmetzler
Level 6

I have found a link which describes what the problem may be:

http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/error-1721-there-is-a-problem-with-this-windows-installer-package-when-install-or-uninstall-on-vista/

So this seems to be a security issue when the .msi installer is running the external application in our installation.

It sounds like setting the msidbCustomActionTypeNoImpersonate bit may resolve this. How can I do this in the basic .msi project when opening the external application GadgetInstall.exe ?

Thanks,

Don Metzler
0 Kudos