cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mayankaggrawal
Level 4

Error 1719 on Fresh XP SP1 and SP2 systems

Hi
I am facing a strange problem while evaluating Installshield 2009. In the Release Wizard i am doing the following:

Support these operating systems: Both Windows 9x and NT
Suppress warning if the Windows Installer Service cannot be upgraded: True
MSI Engine Version: Version 3.1 or 2.0 (best fit for system)
Delay engine reboot until after your installation completes: True

Now i build the release and test it on a fresh new Windows XP System (SP1 or SP2) with no other software installed.

During the startup of the installation i.e. where the splash screen of my setup appears, the installation installs and upgrades the Windows Installer. At the same time the following error message appears:

Error 1719: Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that it is properly registered and enabled.

This happens everytime i upgrade the Windows Installer version whether it be 3.0 or 3.1. I even tried the MSI Engine Version 3.0 during the release wizard. But i get the same error.

A strange thing is that after the error appears the installer aborts itself and when i check the msi version of the OS, it has been upgraded. And then when i start the installation again, the installation is done normally and completes successfully.

If i use the MSI Engine Version 2.0 i do not see the billboards in my setup. so i have to use 3.1 only.

Please help me out on this.
Mayank Aggrawal
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Can you try logging your installation to see if any information is presented in an MSI log? You can create a log with the following command line:
setup.exe /v"/l*v C:\PathToLog\logfile.log"
0 Kudos
mayankaggrawal
Level 4

Hello and thank you for replying..
Below is the log file

===Verbose logging started: 11/19/2008 10:04:55 Build Type: SHIP UNICODE 2.00.2600.1106 Calling Process: C:\DISK1\setup.exe ===
==Logging Started:11/19/2008 10:04:56 ===
Installshield 10:04:56: using product language 1033
Installshield 10:04:56: Extracting support file setup.inx to F:\Windows\Temp\{CODE}\setup.inx
Installshield 10:04:56: Opening Stream of file C:\DISK1\ISSetup.dll
Installshield 10:04:56: Extracting support file ISRT.dll to F:\Windows\Temp\{CODE}\ISRT.dll
Installshield 10:04:56: Extracting support file setup.exe to F:\Windows\Temp\{CODE}\setup.exe
Installshield 10:04:56: Extracting support file _isres1033.dll to F:\Windows\Temp\{CODE}\_isres.dll
Installshield 10:04:56: Extracting support file String1033.txt to F:\Windows\Temp\{CODE}\String1033.txt
Installshield 10:04:56: Skipping optional support file _isuser1033.dll
Action Start 10:04:57: SystemFolder.981516B&_19F5_4A4C_97A4_5EF09A684662.
Action Ended 10:04:57: SystemFolder.981516B&_19F5_4A4C_97A4_5EF09A684662. Return Value 1.
Action Start 10:04:57: WindowsFolder.981516B&_19F5_4A4C_97A4_5EF09A684662.
Action Ended 10:04:57:WindowsFolder.981516B&_19F5_4A4C_97A4_5EF09A684662. Return Value 1.
Action start 10:04:57. ISSetupFilesExtract.
Error 1719. Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that it is properly registered and enabled.
Action ended 10:05:05: ISSetupFilesExtract. Return Value 3.
Installshield 10:05:05: Failed to launch action 'ISSetupFilesExtract', error is 1603
===Verbose logging stopped: 11/19/2008 10:05:05

Strange thing is that the same was done while evaluating Installshield 2008 and no such problem was faced.

Any help would be great.
Thanks again
0 Kudos
mayankaggrawal
Level 4

I tried exactly the same process in Installshield 2008. Created a new Installscript MSI project. Added a few test exes. Using the release wizard with the option MSI Engine Version: Version 3.1 or 2.0 (best fit for system), released it. and on the same windows xp sp1 and sp2 fresh systems, the installer is working fine.
Anybody any clues. am i missing something in Installshield 2009.
Please help
0 Kudos
mayankaggrawal
Level 4

Even Tried upgrading to SP1 and then to SP2. is this a bug? anybody?
0 Kudos
ISCodeMonkey
Level 3

Hi,

I too have seen this problem. It's only on a first-time install on a fresh XP image.
We use virtual PC to test our installers, and I always see this error on the first installation.

Install the setup again, and the error goes away.

This issue also only seemed to happen for Installshield 2009 onwards. 2008 and Installshield Professional seemed fine.
0 Kudos
mayankaggrawal
Level 4

Finally someone does have the same problem..
Is there a work around..
I tried to not delay the system reboot in my release settings..
but a system reboot in the middle of the installation would seem to be a
headache.
Please let me know a solution if in sight
Thanks
0 Kudos
ISCodeMonkey
Level 3

I'm sorry, I don't know of any solution as such other than what you have said - I think other people have delayed the reboot according to the posts on this forum.

For now, we are assuming it is an installshield bug, and we will wait for the next service pack or new version of installshield to be released.

We haven't gone down the support route yet (i.e. raising it as a formal bug and requesting a support person to help - yes I know, it costs money!), as it isn't a major issue for us at the moment.

Just running the same installer a second time makes the problem go away, and it's only on fresh XP machines that it has the problem. We don't have an immediate customer support issue as yet, but this could rapidly become the case.

It maybe I guess possible to use an earlier version of the windows installer engine if that is possible (i.e. in the releases view, don't have WS3.0 but maybe an earlier version) - I've not tried this but I could imagine it may be a problem with the latest windows installer engine. I've not done any in-depth research on this problem as yet, just searched these forums.

Keep in touch, let me know if you have a good workaround.

Cheers,
0 Kudos
Ben_Kirchhoff
Level 3

I'm getting the 1719 error only with the first install using IS 2009 Premier. The same project in IS 12 wasn't having this problem!!
0 Kudos
Ben_Kirchhoff
Level 3

Ok, switched from the 3.1 MSI to 3.0 and now the 2009 version of the install works??
0 Kudos
ISCodeMonkey
Level 3

Thanks for the info Ben, that's good to know.

Maybe we should report this to installshield as a bug?
0 Kudos
Marcus_Chuang
Level 4

Hi all:
I also encountered this bug for only InstallShield 2009. On the first install, I got the error 1719. After that, install again and everything is ok.

I know installing again makes this bug go away, but my boss asks me to create a dialog that shows " Please install again............" for users while Error 1719 occurs.

Have any solution to this request from my boss?
0 Kudos