cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niveknonrev
Level 3

Error 1406 when run silently - BUT works in GUI

I build an MSI does some pretty simple stuff, adding files and changing registry values. However there is 1 registry value, a binary one that gets added correctly when run through the GUI but not when run from the command line using passive switches etc.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

I use a simple install script to get the last 4 digits of the computer name, then I wan to put that into this key value, not rocket science.

But why would it work click through but not silently - same user, same login ID same level - administrator.
Windows XP SP3

Anyhelp is appreciated - i must be missing something.:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Barbara
Level 7

How do you retrieve the parameter ? Maybe do you use a custom action which is executed in the user sequence only? Normally if things are done correctly when using the UI and failing during a silent install you must check your user sequence. During a silent installation MSI goes directly to the execute sequence. If you scheduled some custom actions in the user sequence, which are important for the execuite sequence also, this can lead to a failure of the silent installation.

Barbara
0 Kudos
niveknonrev
Level 3

Yes it was a timing issue - i had it executing as first action in the "execute" sequence - which obviously was not executing first in the UI.

Moved it down in the sequence and it now writes correctly.
But then I ran into a different issue, and had to use installscript to write the value since I needed it converted from DEC-Hex-Bin

But thanks for the reply - yes the sequence was the entire problem.
So simple, I missed it.
0 Kudos