cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kelter
Level 10

Error 1316 on uninstall.

On uninstall, i get a Network error occured while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\MyProduct.msi. This is wierd because the cached msi in that directory is named 608e1.msi. Basically, every installation creates a randomly-names msi file in that location, but on uninstall, it looks for an msi with the actual productname.

Has anybody else had this problem?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
wmansur
Level 3

I am also running into to this with a couple of installs (on both Vista and XP) that I am upgrading and that were built with IS 12.

On Vista, if I try to upgrade my product version 2.0.0199 to a new one with version 2.0.0205, I get the error 1316 (and Note 2203). I also see it sometimes on Windows XP. The error shows up as a popup dialog during the install and is seen in the logs

On Vista, I also see things like this in the install log, some (not all) of my Custom Actions:

InstallShield 13:46:04: Invoking script function MyOnMoving
1: SETUP: MyOnMoving
1: SETUP: MyDeleteModifiedFiles
InstallShield 13:46:04: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends
MSI (s) (30:1C) [13:46:04:962]: NOTE: custom action MyOnMoving unexpectedly closed the hInstall handle (type MSIHANDLE) provided to it. The custom action should be fixed to not close that handle.
MSI (s) (30:E8) [13:46:04:963]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=ProcessComponents,Description=Updating component registration,)
Action 13:46:04: ProcessComponents. Updating component registration
MSI (s) (30:E8) [13:46:04:965]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=52,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=24000)

I have attached the logs.

-Walter

Kelter wrote:
On uninstall, i get a Network error occured while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\MyProduct.msi. This is wierd because the cached msi in that directory is named 608e1.msi. Basically, every installation creates a randomly-names msi file in that location, but on uninstall, it looks for an msi with the actual productname.

Has anybody else had this problem?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A random name for the MSI file is expected for all MSI packages stored in C:\Windows\Installer. This is a cached MSI package that Windows Installer uses to perform any maintenance operations that do not require access to the original source MSI package.

A 1316 error should not be occurring during an uninstall as the Windows Installer does not typically look for the original MSI package. Can you attach a verbose log of the uninstall?

For upgrades, specifically for small updates and minor upgrades, the name of the MSI package needs to be the same as the base install MSI package filename. If the name changes in one of these upgrades, a 1316 error will occur. If the MSI filename needs to be changed, a major upgrade must be performed (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367850.aspx).
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

i apologize for not posting my findings earlier...this had something to do with the ALLUSERS bug in IS2008. I eventaully found the hotfix and applied it as instructed, but later discovered the the dir structure in the .zip file was srong and my patch only pretended to get installed. The hotfix appeared in teh About... dialog but not all of the files were overwritten appropriately. See

http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=172412

for more details...

Based on some conditions out of my control, the ALLUSERS property was giving the install inconsistent locations from which to initialize itself. Grr. Should have just called support.
0 Kudos