cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sureshgade
Level 2

Error 1001 InstallUtilLib.dll Unknown Error in IS 2009

I am using an msm that is created in VS 2005 which has installer class to install the windows service. But however, when I include this msm in a InstallShield 2009(Premier Edition) Basic msi project. I am getting following error at runtime:

Error 1001 InstallUtilLib.dll Unknown Error

I have found few posts that reports about this problem and tried the work around proposed in Q108690 did not work either.

I changed the InstallUtilLib and RegAsm version to 2.0 from the tools menu in InstallShield and still I am getting the error. Please help me solve this problem.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Unfortunately, Installer Class actions have several different failures which all result in a variant of the Error 1001 message box (all with that same number, but slightly different messages). The article you reference discusses how to handle the Installer Class support to a project that consumes Installer Class actions from a merge module, but has none of its own. However if your main package already has its own Installer Class action, or if the problematic Installer Class is throwing an exception or failing for other reasons, those steps won't help.

Ideally you should author your merge module to install the service using the options in the Components view (which maps to the ServiceInstall/ServiceControl tables). This will simplify your package, subscribe it to all of Windows Installer's resiliency capabilities, and avoid the Installer Class problems in one step.
0 Kudos
black_84
Level 2

I was having similar issues and the KB helped me get past the install problems, but I was still having uninstall issues. I was able to resolve them by moving the custom action that sets VSDFxConfigFile further down in my sequence. I noticed that during the uninstall VSDFxConfigFile was set to \_isconfig.xml, which was cause by SUPPORTDIR not being set by the time the first action in the execute sequence was launched.

I moved the CA to set VSDFxConfigFile so that it happens after ISSetupFilesExtract and everything is now working
0 Kudos