cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hrmsys
Level 3

Embedding language MSTs in MSI

How can I tell InstallShield 2010 Premier to include the selected language MST files in the built MSI instead of creating them separately?
And if they are included in the MSI, how can I choose the correct language when I launch the MSI through InstallScript using msiexec?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Answering in reverse order, you can specify the language transform to use by passing the TRANSFORMS=something.mst property at the msiexec command line.

I don't know if InstallShield will put the transforms inside the MSI database, though. Microsoft's Windows Installer SDK has a script that will embed transforms in the MSI, and TRANSFORMS supports the :something.mst syntax for applying embedded transforms, but that might need to happen as a post-build step.
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

last year I was using IS 2010 Premier and had a basic-MSI project with 2 languages in addition to English, and the release was set to include all 3 as UI languages, and I got a simple .msi output, no .mst files.

Now I'm running IS 2011 Premier, and have incorporated MSI-chaining and Release Flags into my basic-MSI project. If I have more than one language selected for UI languages, I can't seem to generate JUST a .msi file without those .mst files.

What changed from last year? Based on this thread it sounds like outputting these .mst files is the expected behavior, but I don't understand then why I didn't get them last year. Is there a setting in the Installshield options to control this? I would turn off the UI languages, as this build is meant for a silent installation anyway, but then all my start menu shortcut strings (and other misc. strings such as file association descriptions) don't get localized at all.
0 Kudos