cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kerbas
Level 2

Dynamic folders and minor upgrade

Is it somehow possible to update files under dynamic folder when using minor upgrade?

I created one dynamic directory called Scripts that contains SQL-scripts. After minor upgrading all the new script files are missing. When doing a fresh install all the files are there.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

It's possible, but it's tricky.

First, make sure you have a component for every folder for which you have dynamic linking. In other words, don't include subdirectories.

Then, when you create the upgrade, in the Release Wizard, give it the location of your previous package. It will use that package to generate the same component codes for your dynamically-linked files, so the upgrade can match them. Note that this will not work if there are subdirectories in a component.

Finally, since scripts are non-versioned files, they will not be upgraded in the modify date and the create date differ on the target system. By design, Windows Installer considers such files to be user-data, and will skip them in an upgrade.

I'd suggest that you look through these forums for more information on the issues people have run into with dynamic links, as well.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I wouldn't even try it. Too many things to go wrong. If you were doing major upgrades, and you had an upstream build process to guard against files accidentally not being there, maybe... but minor upgrade and/or patching? Not for me.
0 Kudos