Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RainMaker
Level 4

Duplicate ARP during Major Upgrade

Here is a thread from the 2009 section that I think should be in this section:

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=185263

I am getting the same issue that they are getting as well from 2009 to 2010. I am going to attempt the hotfix.

It doesn't appear to have been fixed properly (especially since I am seeing the issue).

Another question I have is, is there some sort of "service pack" that I can download from flexera to get the latest hotfixes ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(15) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

From what I recall of this issue, the problem might persist if the IS2009 you're trying to do a Major Upgrade to wasn't rebuilt with the hotfix. Basically, the hotfix needs to both be included in the old version and the new version of the install in order to correctly handle Major Upgrades.

So although it's been fixed in IS2010, if the IS2009 project was out in the wild by the time you applied the hotfix, this issue will persist. Do you know offhand if this is the case?
0 Kudos
RainMaker
Level 4

Cary R wrote:
Do you know offhand if this is the case?

Yes. I got to thinking more about it, and I have installations "out there" that were built without this hotfix.

When applying a 2010 as a major upgrade, the problem exists. I was thinking that the 2010 would have handled the ARP issue appropriately. It makes sense that it doesn't because the older 2009 installation wasn't "built with" the applied hotfix. If my thinking is wrong, let me know.

So, to resolve this issue, apparently I have to make sure that my customers goto add/remove programs and manually uninstall the previous version before the new installer 2010 gets installed. OR

Apply a new build of the old 2009 (with the hotfix) as a minor upgrade, and then have the customer run the new installer.

*sigh 😛
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Note that you can also perform a "manual" major upgrade from the new setup by launching the old installation with /uninst on the command line (the rest of the command line can be based off of the information contained in KB Q112578), and set your major upgrade item to detect only. The property associated with the upgrade item can be used to determine if an old product exists.
0 Kudos
RainMaker
Level 4

I appreciate the responses. I did apply the hotfix and it did not create multiple add/remove entries...which is a good thing.

I am not certain which approach I will take to ensure that the fix is with all of my customer sites, but I do appreciate the options and a more thorough resolution to this topic.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

how about IS 2008? Is there a hotfix for this issue for IS 2008?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The issue with InstallScript MSI major upgrades with projects built with IS 2009 was specific to IS 2009. This issue did not exist in IS 2008 or older versions.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

i'm having this issue with a basic MSI project...I guess I should have noted that...
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

In a Basic MSI, duplicate ARP entries is typically indicative of the major upgrade item in the project not using either the correct upgrade code, or a range of product versions that will allow the previous product(s) to be detected and removed.
0 Kudos
GriffinSilver
Level 3

I am getting a similar issue with a Major Upgrade not uninstalling the previous version in Vista & Windows 7 after upgrading my IS2008 project to IS2010.
I found I had to change the project to require Admin privileges to install correctly in Vista & 7. If the previous version was installed Per-User, a Major Upgrade will not uninstall it. I have always forced the ALLUSERS setting to [1] Per-Machine but unless I specifically require Admin in Vista & Windows 7 it automatically deletes the ALLUSERS property.
0 Kudos
RainMaker
Level 4

GriffinSilver wrote:
I am getting a similar issue with a Major Upgrade not uninstalling the previous version in Vista & Windows 7 after upgrading my IS2008 project to IS2010.
I found I had to change the project to require Admin privileges to install correctly in Vista & 7. If the previous version was installed Per-User, a Major Upgrade will not uninstall it. I have always forced the ALLUSERS setting to [1] Per-Machine but unless I specifically require Admin in Vista & Windows 7 it automatically deletes the ALLUSERS property.

I am not familiar with Windows 7 and Vista Installations. However to be clear, the biggest fix for my issue was to apply a hot fix.

I noticed in your verbage you mentioned "IS2008 project to IS2010". Did you apply the hotfix after your installed IS2010?
0 Kudos
GriffinSilver
Level 3

I am not aware of a hotfix for IS2010. Can you point me to it?

I know there was one that needed to be applied to IS2008 but the install packages needed to be rebuilt after the fix was installed. Since all IS2008 installs had already been distributed, that was not an options for us.
0 Kudos
RainMaker
Level 4

0 Kudos
simongeering
Level 3

Hi All,

Did anyone ever get a solution to this problem or come across a hotfix for this issue that appies for IS2010?

We are getting this problem with an IS2010 install upgrading from an earlier IS2010 install so it would appear that this hotfix was not carried forward correctly into IS2010!

Any help most appreciated.

Regards,
Simon geering
Star Computers Limited.
0 Kudos
RainMaker
Level 4

There will be an existing issue with customers that have the old installer (2009) installed that don't have the fix. You must patch them first before you do a major upgrade, or uninstall them and re-install them.
0 Kudos
deramor
Level 6

simongeering wrote:
Hi All,

Did anyone ever get a solution to this problem or come across a hotfix for this issue that appies for IS2010?

We are getting this problem with an IS2010 install upgrading from an earlier IS2010 install so it would appear that this hotfix was not carried forward correctly into IS2010!

Any help most appreciated.

Regards,
Simon geering
Star Computers Limited.

Simon-

I am seeing the same behavior. As noted in previous posts, there does exist a workaround. However I feel as though this workaround is not sufficient. It requires the sequencing of an installation to be executed in the UI sequence. This is required because Windows Installer has a single global mutex that gets locked when an Execute sequence is running on a PC. If we were going to apply this workaround in the Execute sequence, we would get an error like "only one installation can be running at any given time".

This workaround does not correctly implement the desired functionality of the feature being used (major upgrades). I would request that a Flexera person post details of a hotfix or I will be opening a support ticket with them to acquire one. To have a known bug in your product that costs thousands to license after stating in the release notes that this bug is now fixed, seems a little unprofessional.

Rob
0 Kudos