cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abhishek_Batwar
Level 4

Download .msi from web in Compressed form in Suite Project

hi All,

I want to kept my files(.msi and .exe) on server in Compressed form(.7z ext).
I want that Suite Project installation download the file in compressed form so that it save downloading time and space.
plz help...
thanks
Abhishek
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You might be able to do this for a .exe package, if you can find the right kind of self-extractor. On the .msi side, however, we do not currently have any support for additional compression technologies, other than gzip for files "extracted from Setup.exe".
0 Kudos
Abhishek_Batwar
Level 4

Hi Michael,
Thanks for reply...
will u please elaborate more on this?
I have a suite Project that has one .msi and one .exe. I want to download and install them from web on user choice.

On the server I want to kept file in .7z extention. I want to download them in compressed form only and then install them.

How can I do that???
please help...
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

We do not have support for .7z compressed archives, so you would need some sort of self-expander that you could hook up as an exe package.
0 Kudos
Abhishek_Batwar
Level 4

Hi Michael,
Thanks for reply...

One solution that I found is to first compress files(.msi and .exe) to .7z then rename it “.7z.exe” so that I can add them in suite project. then put them onto server. Now While InstallShield setup.exe downloading them at that point I want to put a .dll(Custom Action) that again uncompress the “.7z.exe” file into “.msi/.exe” so that Suite project Check MD5 and install them Properly.
Now please tell me is this a right way to do this???
And I am not able to add .dll in project. I have also taken help from http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/installtalk/2011/12/calling-a-function-in-a-dll-from-a-wizard-page-or-window-in-a-suite-installation.html
but get nothing.
Please help me.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

We currently have no download or other file transfer hooks, so you would need some sort of self-expander that you could hook up as an exe package. Your web server would have to serve it as a .exe file that could be launched to extract and install itself.
0 Kudos
Abhishek_Batwar
Level 4

Hi Michael,
Thanks for reply...
Will you please suggest some self expander that I can use in my suite project to extract the zipped file and installs them...
please help.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Normally I'd say all our projects qualify for that description, but I know you're looking for 7z compression. So no, I have no specific recommendations.
0 Kudos
Abhishek_Batwar
Level 4

Hi Michael,

I have tried to do the same in other way,AS you know I have a .msi that I need to download from web. So for that I have put a dummy .msi (for eg 1KB .msi) on web and add that into my suite project also. And I also have created a .exe that download my actual .msi in zipped format to cache path that I have specified for .msi package. and I have add that .exe in suite project making them as dependency package for .msi package.
At the time of installation setup.exe first installs .exe package (that download my actual MSI package from web and put in the same cache path that I have specified for MSI package.) and then setup.exe run MSI package and installs that perfectly. I am able to do this all....
but at the time of un-installation it uninstalls the dummy msi that I ave added in my suite project instead of actual MSI.
How can I uninstalls my actual MSI instead of dummy...........

plz help...

Thanks
Abhishek
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Change the remove operation for your exe package in the suite to call something like msiexec /x {prod-uct-code-here}. Or maybe modify the exe it does call such that it does the right thing.
0 Kudos
Abhishek_Batwar
Level 4

Hi Michael,
Thanks for reply...!!!
I have done exactly the same as u suggested. but that didn't work for me.
I have type "msiexec /x {productcode}" on EXE Command Line for my dependency EXE. but it doesn't uninstall my MSI package.
I also have look into this link :-
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield18helplib/SteCmmndLne.htm
and I have type REMOVE={packagecode} for MSI Command Line for MSI package, that also didn't work.
plz help
Thanks
Abhishek
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That needs to be split up. The target needs to be msiexec.exe (probably [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe), and the EXE command line should have the arguments—the /x {productcode} part.
0 Kudos