cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roman1
Level 9

Download InstallShield 2011 Standalone Build (English)

Hello,
I have installed IS2011-Eval.

Do I need after activation
download this setup:

"InstallShield 2011 Standalone Build (English)" ?

I use IS2011 studio and standalone builder on the same PC.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
Server
Level 5

To me - use for the standalone builder and InstallShield itself together on the same machine is quite limited. Maybe for testing purposes only...

But you can download via the Flexera Software Manager: Tools -> Check For Updates.

PS You are from Russia?
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

The question is:
if I need to install this feature on developer machine to use it,
or it is installed by main setup.

And not:
How to get this feature from net.
0 Kudos
Server
Level 5

You need to download install Standalone Builder separately. It is not shipped with InstallShield 2011 installation. But usually Standalone Builder is installed on the build server.

For example I used standalone only for the experiments with the command line parameters and IS automation.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Roman1, why would you need to install InstallShield and the Standalone Build on the same machine? In the majority of cases, InstallShield is installed on a developer machine, and the Standalone Build is installed on a build server. If you want to automate quick test builds on your development machine, you can still use the ISCmdBld.exe command-line tool that is installed with InstallShield.

The Standalone Build that is available with InstallShield 2011 does not require activation. However, it does require that you use either a license file (most commonly selected licensing option--this is used if you buy the traditional node-locked license) or you connect your machine to a license server (this option is called concurrent licensing).

Assuming that you purchased a node-locked license of InstallShield, you also now get one or more node-locked licenses of the Standalone Build (depending on which edition of InstallShield you purchased). For information on how to obtain the installation of the Standalone Build and also generate the license file for the Standalone Build, see the following page:
http://www.installshield.com/instructions/sab.asp

This page has some background on Standalone Build licensing. It also has links to a PDF file that has detailed instructions.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Hello Debbie,
all our setups are created on the developer machine.

I use Standalone Builder to start a batch build of 20-30 setups at once.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Why can't you simply use IsCmdBld.exe from the InstallShield\2011\System folder?
0 Kudos
moinkhan
Level 5

DebbieL wrote:
Roman1, why would you need to install InstallShield and the Standalone Build on the same machine? In the majority of cases, InstallShield is installed on a developer machine, and the Standalone Build is installed on a build server. If you want to automate quick test builds on your development machine, you can still use the ISCmdBld.exe command-line tool that is installed with InstallShield.

The Standalone Build that is available with InstallShield 2011 does not require activation. However, it does require that you use either a license file (most commonly selected licensing option--this is used if you buy the traditional node-locked license) or you connect your machine to a license server (this option is called concurrent licensing).

Assuming that you purchased a node-locked license of InstallShield, you also now get one or more node-locked licenses of the Standalone Build (depending on which edition of InstallShield you purchased). For information on how to obtain the installation of the Standalone Build and also generate the license file for the Standalone Build, see the following page:
http://www.installshield.com/instructions/sab.asp

This page has some background on Standalone Build licensing. It also has links to a PDF file that has detailed instructions.

I hope that helps.

Debbie: If it is Concurrent-licensing, so how many SAB it comes with? my assumption is with 3 concurrent licenses we can install 30 SAB on machines, 10 SAB for each Premiere IS, is that change with IS2011?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I have the same question.

In InstallShield 2011, one concurrent license comes with how many SAB license?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If you are interested in concurrent licenses, it is recommended that you contact Sales. They can give you details such as how many Standalone Build licenses are included, and they can help you determine what makes the most sense for your environment.
0 Kudos
bigoldsofty
Level 4

We also have to use the standalone on the same machine because the team uses a single build machine for the releases but the IS licencing is per machine/per account. There I use the full version to generate the ISM project from my user account and the other guys kick of the builds from their user account with the standalone version. It's real pain because a number builds have been screwed up already because product codes and version numbers haven't updated correctly.

BTW is the Visual Studio 'add-in' considered as a standalone version and would it be easier to use.
0 Kudos