cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_H
Level 7

Does adding new components trigger a Minor or Major upgrade?

I have an InstallScript MSI project and would like to know if I have added several new components to the project since the initial release, when I post an Upgrade, does adding the new components warrant a Minor or Major upgrade?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Not applicable

InstallScript projects only perform 1 type of upgrade, which is the InstallScript Update and do not have the concept of minor or major upgrades like MSI Based Projects do.

For MSI based projects, adding components is valid for any type of upgrade.
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Sorry I forgot the MSI, my project is InstallScript MSI, so if I add a few new components to my project, when I need to release an upgrade, can it still be considered a Minor Upgrade and Not a Major Upgrade?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Again, for MSI based projects (Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI), any type of upgrade can support adding a component. So major, minor, and small updates are valid.
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Maybe I was not clear. I know I can add components, my question was if I add new components to an existing released version of our software, when we re-release our software, does that cause the upgrade to be considered a Minor or Major Upgrade?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

It doesn't `cause` anything. Your package will run as major/minor depending on what you do to the ProductCode property and Upgrade table.

I think the question that you mean to ask is `If I add a component to an install, can I service it with a Minor Upgrade or does it require a Major upgrade?`

The answer would be, you can service it with either.

If you want a more comprehensive lists of things that require a major upgrade, check out:

http://knowledge.macrovision.com/doc/Helpnet/installshield12helplib/MajorMinorSmall.htm
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Thanks Christopher, that is exactly what I wanted to know.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

No problem. Be sure to read that first link I provided, I don't think I've ever seen what Heath describes documented in MSI or IS doco.
0 Kudos