cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimStVCS
Level 7

Documentation Error or Bug?

:confused: Hello, I was wondering if anybody has had a similar experience where in an InstallScript MSI Project you utilized the function to return the path to the SUPPORTDIR and the function returned an empty string? This is part of why I was having trouble yesterday with getting SQL scripts to manually execute in an InstallScript MSI project. I followed the instructions in the help topic "Placing Files in the .msi Database and Extracting Them During Runt Time" because I thought I had to do this with an InstallScript MSI project type. As it turns out, using SUPPORTDIR as you would in a straight InstallScript project works just fine in an InstallScript MSI Project, so I am confused as to whether the on-line help is in error or this is an "undocumented feature"?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

The help topic that you mentioned talks about using the Windows Installer property SUPPORTDIR in an InstallScript custom action of an InstallScript MSI project. However, I suspect that you were using the InstallScript variable SUPPORTDIR in an InstallScript event of your InstallScript MSI project; the value of this variable would not be empty in this case. The SUPPORTDIR hyperlink in the help topic that you mentioned points to a help topic that explains the difference between the property and the variable:
SUPPORTDIR

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Thanks for the reply Debbie. Yes that helps a little bit, but I found it was fairly easy to get confused between the Windows Installer Property for SUPPORTDIR and the InstallScript variable for SUPPORTDIR in the documentation. You are correct, I was executing an Installscript event in an InstallScript MSI Project and not a Custom Action. The event executed some SQL scripts via the LaunchApplication function and a .cmd file. I had stored the .cmd file in the support files/billboard view and the scripts were not executing for a reason I still don't understand. That is when I got wrapped around the axle with using the Windows Installer Property instead of the InstallScript variable.

Thanks again for your response!

Tim
0 Kudos