cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J_anitha
Level 8

Display windows message box in front of dialog

Hello,

I would like to know how to get messages displayed in front of InstallShield dialog. Project is InstallScript.
Message box stating "source file not found" gets displayed behind the the installation progress dialog. Since these msg boxes are behind the dialog, installation seems to be hung at the progress bar.

We need to display these msgs in front of dialog so that user will know an error has occured during file transfer(progress dialog).

rgds,
anitha
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This type of issue can only occur if the wrong window handle is specified as the parent window for a message box. However, the InstallScript MessageBox function will always specify the appropriate window handle as the parent window for the message box to be displayed. As such, this issue should never occur with the built in InstallScript MessageBox function. If you are calling the Win32 MessageBox API directly, the correct parent window handle must be specified.
0 Kudos
J_anitha
Level 8

This issue wasnt for msgbox displayed with IS MessageBox() function.
Whenever file transfer (at progress dialog) has errors, it displays some meesages in the background, coz of which my installation seems to be hung.
I'll get to see those messages when I do an Alt-Tab.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Any error messages displayed by the engine for file transfer errors will have the message box parented to the correct parent dialog. If you are able to reproduce this issue with a sample project that encounters a file transfer error, please attach the sample to this thread. If this cannot be reproduced in a sample project, the issue is likely with the script in the project encountering this behavior. Removing events from the script (such as OnComponentError, if present) until the issue no longer occurs can help to isolate the cause of the behavior.
0 Kudos
J_anitha
Level 8

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I'm getting error 1706 while installation. This message goes behind my installer dialog, which looks as if its stuck at the progress bar.
I need to get this message displayed in front of my dialog, so that user will be aware that the installation encountered an error.
0 Kudos