cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjmfgm
Level 5

Display a Dialog based on a search

I need help please on how to display a Dialog if the system search could not find a file. If the file was found do not display the dialog and continue on with the Installation.

I am using a basic "MSI" Installation project.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

In the dialog before the conditional one, in the behavior view, set 2 spawn dialog actions on the Next button. The first one should display the conditional dialog and the second should display the next dialog if the file was found. Condition both based on whether the system search found the file (basically, if the property from the system search exists or not.)

Hope this helps.

Oh, and don't forget to also set the same behavior for the BACK button on the dialog after the conditional one, so it returns correctly to either the conditional dialog or the one before it.
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Thank you Kathy,
I just did what you said and is not working right, Here is what I did ( I most likely messed up),

I added a dialog, the sequence is right after the License Agreement. On the License Agreement Behavior under the [Event] for the [Next] button I added a "SpawnDialog" event. Under the Argument, I added the Google_Dialog, In the Condition Field I added my FIND_GOOGLE_EARTH="false" condition.
The column below I added the "SpawnDialog" and in the Argument field I added the Next Dialog (Customer Information".
What happens is when I click on the [Next] button on the License Agreement Window noting happens. I can only go back and or cancel the Installation?

When I set the Condition to "true" the same thing happens, when I set the condition to ="1" same thing the button does nothing. When I remove the condition and just put in "FIND_GOOGLE_EARTH" than the dialog displays, which is exactly what I do not want. I would like to display this Dialog when Google Earth is not found ?

Thanks again for your Help Kathy. 🙂
0 Kudos
dan_galender
Level 10

This may not solve the issue you asked about in your original post, but it appears that there is some confusion concerning SpawnDialog.

The SpawnDialog event displays a modal dialog on top of the dialog that spawned it. This modal dialog is usually used to display error messages, informational messages, or confirmation messages and uses buttons like OK, Yes and No (as when the user clicks Cancel) to either quit the installation or return to the spawning dialog. It would not be used for dialogs with Back and Next buttons like the CustomerInformation dialog (they would be displayed as a result of a NewDialog event).
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Now I am really confused, what do I need to do to get this to work?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

To detect if a property has no value (that is, the system search found nothing), perhaps try Not FIND_PROG_NAME (instead of FIND_PROG_NAME="false")?
0 Kudos