cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
predatorsw
Level 3

Different program and data install folders picking strange drive letters

I have a standard program file folder area, and it defaults nicely to the usual. In the Directory table in the raw MSI editor it looks nice and standard:

Directory: PREDATOR_SOFTWARE
Directory_Parent: ProgramFilesFolder
DefaultDir: PREDAT~1|Predator Software

I have also created a secondary property for my data storage location:

Directory: PREDATORCOMMONINSTALLDIR
Directory_Parent: TARGETDIR
DefaultDir: PREDAT~1|Predator Software

I have two dialogs chained together, the program installation folder dialog which is pretty stock, and the data file location folder dialog right after it.

This works fine except when the folder dialog for my data folder displays it picks some ridiculous drive letter out in west bleem instead of TARGETDIR. Well, there is some logic, it picks the very last physically attached hard drive on the computer. I don't want it to do that. I want it to default to the exact same DRIVE that was picked by the previous folder dialog.

How do I get it to either pick the drive that the program folders are being installed to or at least hard code it to C: so I don't fly through the folder picker dialogs and then wonder where all my data files went?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
predatorsw
Level 3

Answer:

Set the ROOTDRIVE property in the property table to C:\, this forces windows installer to set TARGETDIR to C:\ instead of the drive with the most space.
0 Kudos