cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdavidi
Level 4

Dialogs: Edit Field Text vs Property Properties

Greetings!

IS2011 noob question. I'm a bit confused as to the validity of the Text property that's available for an Edit Field control.

When I first created the edit field, I was prompted for a new property name, as expected per the documentation. I see this new property, WEBPROXYURL added to the Property Manager, with a default value of 0.

I have set the Text property of this edit field to http://[serverURI]/WebProxy to hint the user as to what we want supplied.

When the install runs and the dialog displays though, it displays 0 in this edit field (WEBPROXYURL's public property value). It's ignoring my Text property completely.

As an experiment, I tried removing WEBPROXYURL from the Property Manager outright, and cleared this value from the Property property of the edit field. I then hit a run time error though complaining that the edit field is missing a return value (I expected this).

I then re-added WEBPROXYURL to Property Manager, and set its value there to http://[serverURI]/WebProxy and then at run-time it shows up as expected.

This just doesn't "feel" right--I don't understand how the Text property comes into play at all if the required Property property's value governs what is displayed.

Am I over-thinking this, or missing something? Thanks much!

--jdavidi
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

The Text property of edit controls is not used by the runtime. It should be removed from the Dialog Editor. I filed the work order #IOA-000057977 so that it will be fixed in a future release.

Thank you for reporting this.
0 Kudos
jdavidi
Level 4

Ah, thanks -- that clears it up! 🙂
0 Kudos
Branedal
Level 3

1 year have gone and the Text field is still here. What happened with #IOA-000057977 🙂
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

IOA-000057977 was fixed in InstallShield 2012.
0 Kudos
vpsriprathikka
Level 3

Hi DebbieL,

If there is any workaround to solve the issue in installshield 2011
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Use the Property field to associate a property with your edit control. If the Indirect bit is not set, the control displays or changes the value of the property having the name. The Text field has no affect to edit controls.
0 Kudos