cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nepalmer
Level 2

Determine if the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP2 prerequisite completed successfully

Hi,

I'm trying to use the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP2 (x86) prerequisite and it appears to install successfully but after the prerequisite setup completes I get a message that says:

"The installation of the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP2 (x86) appears to have failed. Do you want to continue the installation?"

I've used some other prerequisites before and I don't get this message. I've reviewed the SQL Server setup logs on the machine and I can't find any errors logged by the setup.

How does IS determine if the prerequisite has completed successfully?

The command line in the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP2 (x86) prerequisite is:

/QS /Action=Install /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /INSTANCENAME=TESTINST /FEATURES=SQL,AS,Tools /ROLE=AllFeatures_WithDefaults /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\Administrators" /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=TRUE /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SECURITYMODE=SQL

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
Nick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Make sure that you have updated the registry condition of the prerequisite to test the TESTINST instance installed successfully. The original condition is designed to test the default named instance called SQLEXPRESS.

Original:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLEXPRESS\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion

Change to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\TESTINST\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
nepalmer
Level 2

Hi Hidenori,

You are a genius! That did it. My SQL Server Express installed and then my setup started just like I want. 🙂

On a somewhat related topic, do you know if it's possible to control the inclusion of the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP2 (x86) prerequisite programatically? I have a program that uses the IS COM interface to programatically turn on and off different features in the application before I actually do a build and I'd like to have the same control over the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express SP2 (x86) prerequisite. I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation about this. Is that even supported? Oh and my IS project is an IS InstallScript project type.

Thanks
Nick
0 Kudos