cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uconnfan
Level 3

Determine Microsoft Database Access Engine Version

Hi Everyone,

We develop an application that installs on 32 and 64-bit machines. Depending on the version of MS Office installed, we then install the appropriate MADE (Microsoft Access Database Engine) version. The MADE install runs silently in the background. If a user uninstalls our application, the MADE is left untouched and remains on the user's computer. An issue arises when the user does not have MS Office installed. In this scenario, a user could first install the 32-bit version of our application, uninstall and then install the 64-bit version. In which case two things occur:

• Both 32 and 64-bit versions of MADE are now installed on the computer
  • Our application does not work

How can we determine what version of MADE that may already exist on their computer? Can we tell if it is 32-bit or 64-bit? I have done quite a bit of searching to see if I can find a way to determine which version of MADE is already installed, but have been unsuccessful to this point. My goal is to be able to run a check on the MADE (32 or 64-bit) to see if it is possible for the installation to continue. If there is a 32-bit version of MADE already installed (without MS Office on the computer) then I do not want to install the 64-bit MADE. Obviously, doing so risks having our application not working, along with any other that uses MADE.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

I would check the existance of the following registry keys on 64-bit machines:

For 64-bit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access Connectivity Engine\InstallRoot

For 32-bit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access Connectivity Engine\InstallRoot
0 Kudos
uconnfan
Level 3

Thanks hidenori! So those keys will be there even if Microsoft Office is not installed?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The registry keys were created when I installed the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable on a clean machine.
0 Kudos
uconnfan
Level 3

Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
zoulhom
Level 3

It seems that we have to use the 32 bits exe to install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 on a 64 bits machine if a previous OFFICE component is already present AND was a 32 bits component. :eek:
Is someone can help me about the registry key I have to use to know if an OFFICE component is present BUT is 32 bits? :confused: :confused:

Thank in advance.
0 Kudos
uconnfan
Level 3

As far as I understand, hidenori provided the location of the registration keys in a previous post in this thread. I have exactly the same scenario and the registry keys are checked to verify the bitness of MS Office.
0 Kudos