cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Madhu_Mitra
Level 3

Detection of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition R2 while installing

Hello,

I am using InstallShield 2011 professional edition to install my package. My application needs

1) Windows Installer 4.5 for XP
2) DotNET 3.5 Service Pack 1
3) PowerShell -1.0
4) SQL Server 2008 Express Edition R2

The above requirements will only be installed if they are not present in the target machine.

Now to detect if SQL Server 2008 Express Edition R2 is installed in the target machine I am using the Registry Key. Thus in the conditions Tab of Prerequisites I use the option A registry key does or does not exist

and in the field Specify the regsitry key name to check, the following key is entered

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100

Since Registry Key may change from one version to another and also may change within a version so I would like to use some other method.

I have gone through the link

http://www.installationdeveloper.com/618/sql-server-version-detection-in-installshield/

but could not understand as to how it should be achieved using WMI.

My point is
1) Is there any alternative method to check the existence of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition R2 other than Registry Key

2) How to run a VB Script or Install Script before running Setup Prerequisite and can Custom Actions be handled before that.

3) Can a condition be placed on a prerequisite which checks for some property value and based on which the prerequisite will run.

Please help me to solve the above issues as I am stuck with my work.

Cheers
Madhu
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DMorisseau
Level 5

I built my own installer for SQL 2008 R2 Express..The good news is the IS already has setup pre-requisites built for MSI 4.5, PowerShell 1.0, and .NET v3.5 SP1, so you can go into the Prerequisites view and select them.

Note: If you're deploying on Win2008, PowerShell won't install via the Pre-reqs becuase it is considered an operating system feature and must be added via Server Manager.

IS its own pre-req for SQL 2008 R2 Express, but I'm not all that familiar with how to set it up properly.

I used the sql 2008 R2 express installer and management studio installer programs as components, and executed them in the Feature_Installed event with the command-lines arguments I needed.
0 Kudos