Level 6

Desktop Icon Placement

Is there a way to define where you want an icon on the users desktop?:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MGarrett
Level 6

As far as I understand, icon placement is determined by how the user has defined their desktop settings (sorted, auto-arrange, align to grid, etc). There is no way in InstallShield to define icon placement on the desktop.
There are no Windows API's that I am aware of to do this either, as too many programs might abuse them anyway. Rearranging a user's icons is considered very unfriendly.

There are too many "gotchas" (such as multi-monitor support, different screen resolutions, locked desktops, icon spacing, putting icons on top of each other and hiding one, accessibility) to make this a good idea.
0 Kudos
retzcat
Level 6

Thanks MGarrett! I appreciate it.
MGarrett wrote:
As far as I understand, icon placement is determined by how the user has defined their desktop settings (sorted, auto-arrange, align to grid, etc). There is no way in InstallShield to define icon placement on the desktop.
There are no Windows API's that I am aware of to do this either, as too many programs might abuse them anyway. Rearranging a user's icons is considered very unfriendly.

There are too many "gotchas" (such as multi-monitor support, different screen resolutions, locked desktops, icon spacing, putting icons on top of each other and hiding one, accessibility) to make this a good idea.
0 Kudos