cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanBerg
Level 3

Delete HKCR\Installer regkeys on Server 2008

I am pretty new to this and I have inherited an Installshield project that doesn't seem to work as expected on Server 2008.

The Installer runs a bunch of SQL scripts against several databases and sets various options in those databses. Nothing is installed on the machine running the setup. We may run this install on the same server 10 times in a week to setup and configure different databases.

The installer has a custom action to delete the registry keys for the current install from HKCR\Installer. This was done so that the installer can be rerun on the same server without having to uninstall the old version (remember, nothing is actually being installed or changed on the machine running the install)

On Server 2000 the custom action (vbscript) would execute as expected and delete the appropriate keys. On Server 2008 I am getting an error that the key does not exist and can not be deleted (Even though I can see the key is created during the install).

Installer is run by a user with admin rights and I have checked the permissions on the keys in the registry and the user has delete rights. I can run the same vbscript used by the custom action after the install completes and the keys are deleted as expected.

Is there a way to get my installer to delete the keys OR uninstall instelf immediatly after running the install?

Thanks,
Dan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Instead of deleting the undocumented registry keys, is it an option to "condition out" the actions that register the product on the system: RegisterProduct, RegisterUser, PublishProduct, and PublishFeatures?
0 Kudos
DanBerg
Level 3

I don't see why I can't do that. I'll look into it!

Update: This seems to have solved my problem!

Thanks,
Dan
0 Kudos