cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilWalker
Level 2

Debugging a Basic MSI

I'm fairly new to building MSIs and I wrote my first test MSI last night which uses a user-defined custom action to call a user-defined scripted function.

It was all working ok last night before I left work and I could happily step into the function code when debugging, but this morning when I try and step into it, it tries to fire up Visual Studio instead and debug from that environment.

For some reason it appears to be associating debugging the MSI with Visual Studio. Does anyone have any clue as to why it may be doing this, is there a setting which I may have inadvertently checked somewhere?

Regards,
Neil
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If your project has any DLL custom actions and you launch debugging from the InstallShield IDE, we "rebuild" your MSI package with an intermediate DLL wrapper custom action around any DLL actions your MSI may have. In our wrapper, we attempt to launch any registered debuggers on the machine.

You can rebuild your project to get back to its original state, and then run the installation directly from the MSI package/setup.exe outside of InstallShield (or use Ctrl-F5 in InstallShield).
0 Kudos