cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liberybell
Level 4

Debugging IS scripts for Basic MSI project

I have following the instructions to debug the CAs on my basic MSI project on a remote computer as follow:
Copy ISDbg.exe
Register ISDbg.exe (isdbg.exe /REGSERVER)
I launch the setup as follow:
setup.exe /v"ISSCRIPTDEBUG=1 ISSCRIPTDEBUGPATH=\"path-to-Setup.dbg\""

But the debugger never opens up. What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
Not applicable

Is the action you're trying to debug Deferred?
0 Kudos
liberybell
Level 4

bryanwolf wrote:
Is the action you're trying to debug Deferred?

Yes, they are.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Please see this article for more information:
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q112187&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_ISSUE_1_1&dialogID=11931510&stateId=1 0 8404015

When it asks you to set the engine version, ensure you use 14 instead of 12.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Is this scheduled for resolution in 2009?
0 Kudos
liberybell
Level 4

After adding the following registry entry:
Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\ISEngine14.0
Value: DebugISCustomActions (REG_DWORD) set to 1

Launch my Basic MSI project as follow:
setup.exe /v"ISSCRIPTDEBUG=1 ISSCRIPTDEBUGPATH=\"D:\DATASETS\ISDbg\""

The debugger still does not open.
What else is it required for this thing to run?
0 Kudos
liberybell
Level 4

Messageboxing the script is no just painful but not efficient to properly debug my code.
Is there nobody that have had to buttle with this issue?
Any information you can throw at this will be helpful.
I have a incident open with Acresso support and they do not even knew that the debugger can be run the way you guys have pointed out through this thread and others in this community.
So, if I sound a bit disparate, please forgive me. I know...I should be more patience and understanding after dealing with InstallShield for several years. But the scenario is still that I am under pressure to get this install in production and I need to make sure that the code is 100% correct. My manager will not give rat-a$$ if I could or I couldn't know debug the code properly. Once I say "it is ready" he will assume that I have been through all proper steps to ensure the code is reliable.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Please try not passing the ISSCRIPTDEBUG property and re-run your setup. Does the InstallScript Debugger open for any actions?
0 Kudos
liberybell
Level 4

bryanwolf wrote:
Please try not passing the ISSCRIPTDEBUG property and re-run your setup. Does the InstallScript Debugger open for any actions?

No, it does not open for any of them.
I have tried without paramerters with the parameters and now without the ISSCRIPTDEBUG parameter. And it does not trigger the debugger for any of those tries.
Mega-frustration... as it is usually with all InstallShield issues...
0 Kudos
Not applicable

What that registry key is designed to do is debug every single InstallScript function in your project. Could you please try extracting the ZIP file and running the .reg file from the included zip just to see if that gives you any better behavior?

Could you also confirm that you're using IS 2008?
0 Kudos
liberybell
Level 4

Could a conflict may exist between the registration of ISDbg.exe for 11.5 and the one for IS 2008?
If that is the case, how can I completely clear the resgistration of ISDbg.exe from the system in order to start fresh?
Thanks to all of you for the help with this issue.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I don't know if it works specifically for this case, but in general to unregister a self-registering EXE you can run it with the /UNREGSERVER switch...
0 Kudos