cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Database Schema Diagram

Does InstallShield have a Database Schema diagram for the changes to IS2009? We integrated our prerequisites into our build system rather than using the locations that ship with IS2009. As such it would be good to know that we have covered the bases for relationships between tables in the Direct Editor.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't believe we have such a diagram. Prerequisites, which you mention, should not have changed in terms of their ability to use, or where they store, build paths. There is a new table for associating prerequisites with features. There are new tables for other IS2009 features and MSI4.5(b2) features. Do you have any other particular tables you'd like to ask about?
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

My coworker would like to know all the new table relationships. Since we use non-default directories as the source of our prerequisites, this forces us to have to edit the Direct Editor manually rather than using the UI. So in this particular case we wanted to be sure that we do not leave out any necessary foreign key relationships.

I just figured that a good Database Schema Diagram would work well to do this; I was hoping that you might have one for at least all the InstallShield tables you work with.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

As a general policy we do try to fill out the _Validation table correctly. This table is not shown in the IDE (largely because bad edits to it can render our IDE unusable), but it contains higher level contextual information like what kinds of strings are allowed in a string column, or what columns are foreign keys into other tables. Perhaps this table (or a summary extracted from it) would provide what you're looking for already? You can use the InstallShield MSI Diff tool, or ORCA, etc., to view this table, and MSDN describes its format.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Excellent idea! I should have thought of that as well. 🙂

Thanks, I think that would work.
0 Kudos