cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilkinse
Level 3

CustomAction stored in binary table gets run twice in a row

Hi,

I created a vbscript custom action, usually I store them within the custom action but in this case I want to get the return value so I store it in the binary table.

I have it setup to run only once...since its located in the UI and Execute sequences. I have the Return processing set to Synchronous(Check exit code) and Immediate Execution.

When I run my install and review the msi.log my script is actually being run twice in a row. The script works and does what it is supposed to do...but I do not want it to run twice.

Has anyone run into this issue before? How do I correct the problem.

Thanks,
Erik
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I've never heard of this problem. Can you post a verbose log file?
0 Kudos
wilkinse
Level 3

MSI (c) (E0:00) [13:56:11:422]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (E0:00) [13:56:11:422]: Attempting to enable all disabled privileges before calling Install on Server
MSI (c) (E0:00) [13:56:11:422]: Connected to service for CA interface.
checkDefaultPort Script Started 1
checkDefaultPort Script Ending
checkDefaultPort Script Started 1
checkDefaultPort Script Ending
Action ended 13:56:11: checkDefaultPort. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (E0:9C) [13:56:11:844]: Doing action: SetupCompleteError

Here is the snippet where you can see the Script is called twice and then returns the forced -3 that I set it to.
I have commented out all the code in the vbscript function except the log statement at the start and end of the script and setting the function name to -3 for the return value
Function checkDefaultPort

LogInfo "Script Started 1"

checkDefaultPort = 3 'return success
LogInfo "Script Ending"

End Function

Maybe its caused by my vbscript having the same name as the script function, either way its seems wrong.

Thanks,
Erik
0 Kudos
wilkinse
Level 3

I found out what the issue was at the top of my .vbs I was calling the Function but it looks like that is not needed since I specify the script function under the Action section of the Common tab.

Thanks for you time,
Erik
0 Kudos