cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgraju
Level 3

Custom action which depends on feature fails

Hi,

I have an application with 2 features. I want a custom action (via an exe) to be run on installation and uninstallation only if feature2 is installed.

For the installation, if I go to Custom Action -> Condition -> Feature and click on Feature2, it gets calls correctly during installation. Also below in the condition property, I see:

This custom action will be run if all of the following conditions are met:
Feature2 is set to be installed.

However, this does not work for the uninstall. I set the CA at Before System Changes. The action is called if I set No Conditions. But if I set Condition -> Feature and click on Feature2, it does not get called on uninstallation. Also the condition property reads:

This custom action will be run if all of the following conditions are met:
Feature2 is set to be installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Suresh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

I found it is a bug. One thing you can do is to open your Express project (.ise) in Orca, and change the condition of your custom action from REMOVE="ALL" And (&YourFeature>2) to REMOVE="ALL" And (!YourFeature>2). I also submitted the work order #IOC-000071696 so that it will be fixed in a future release.

Thank you for reporting this.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you do not have Orca, I will fix it if you can send me your project at hyamanishi@acresso.com.

Regards.
0 Kudos
sgraju
Level 3

I downloaded Orca and tried your suggestion. It works.

Thanks.

Regards
Suresh
0 Kudos
bergep
Level 2

I am having the same exact issue. I have a custom action configured during installation and one during un-installation, and these are feature bound.

The installation CA executes and the un-installation CA doesn't.

Has a fix been release for this bug?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

This has been fixed in InstallShield Express 2009, but the hotfix for InstallShield Express 2008 is not available. The workaround discussed in this thread does not work for you?
0 Kudos
bergep
Level 2

Is the InstallShield 2008 Express product supported? If yes, why do I have to pay for an upgrade in order to receive a bug fix?

I have used InstallShield Express since 1999, and each time it is the same paradigm. I pay for an upgrade not for the new features (which are something scarce), but to benefit from bug fixes and the support for new OS.

I shouldn't have to pay for a bug fix! :eek:

I opened the ISE project in ORCA and couldn't find where I am supposed to make the change.

I looked at the Custom Action table and saw my CAs, but it doesn't have a condition column. I looked at the Condition table but I don't see the CA.

Please let me know....
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Actually, you need to find your action in the InstallExecuteSequence and InstallUISequence tables, and modify the condition as suggested. If you still have the problem, please let me know.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
0 Kudos